Tennis Forum banner

irish tennis

131K views 1K replies 65 participants last post by  AwonderfulKiwi 
#1 ·
best of luck to mariyana levova and jennifer claffey next week when they will be playing in a grade 4 junior tournament in sweden, its starting on the 8th of january 2006.

Irish no 3 rachael dillon is currently injured at the moment with an injured wrist, rachael is studying for her A levels in january. as far as i know she will be back playing fulltime about the the middle of january, so keep our fingers crossed!

best of luck also to some of our most promising juniors in ireland in 2007 who are training fulltime at the newly built national training centre at dublin city university, they are amy bowtell born in sept 1993, she currently has an european junior under 14 ranking of about 87 or 88, we also have lynsey mccullough born in march 1991, she has a european under 16 ranking, i cant remeber what her ranking is, nicola drummy and rachael daly are both at under 10 level, mariyana levova born in march 1990.

Best of luck to them all!:) :) :) :) :) :)

#1,191 ·
congrats to sinead lohan who just qualified for her first pro event in preston today, she is up against british wild card dominique covington, also the best of luck to amy bowtell who is playing in preston, she is up against danielle konotopstseva from great britain

#1,197 ·
not sure, i only happen to see his name on the entry lists for junior tournaments, apparently before he represented great britain

amy bowtell won the all irish quarter final in preston, she beat sinead lohan 63 64 and will play angelica moratelli from italy tomorrow. amy is playing at 11 o c,there should be live scoring on www.bet365.com, go to inplay tennis

#1,201 ·
apparently so, its a world class forehand. keep fingers and toes crossed that she will make the top 100 someday.

both amy bowtell and sinead lohan are crying out for sponsors, they are depending on their families at present financially. hope they will get sponsors soon

#1,205 ·
Need somehow to get tennis more noticed here. Only way is if someone like Amy or Sinead make a bit of a breakthru. But without sponsors its so tough. For now vote for Amy here: http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=473301&page=3

Even getting her thru this game can't do any harm. Get the name out there a bit more.

#1,213 ·
Can't we just buy Sirotkina if she still training here. An Irish passport would be much easier for her travel wise :shrug: If Pervak, Shvedova, Putinseva and Voskoboeva could switch to KAZ surely we could get Marta, she would also get the high performance funding and unlike some of our below average athletes might deserve it.

Also it would be easier to build Irish tennis with a ready made Top 150 player than to actually try and make one from scratch with such little support for tennis.

#1,214 ·
I think it would be better to have a homegrown player who actually wants to play for us!

Poor Amy had a bad loss this week. Lost from a set and 5-1 and 0-40 with 3 match points. Hope she can bounce back from this and move on from here.

James Mcgee looks like his ranking is going in the right direction though!

#1,215 ·
That'll take at least a decade. Two problems

A. Getting the Top player
B. Getting the media to give said top player attention, Katie Taylor was winning World Champs year after year and only in 2012 did the Irish media actually give her a justifiable level of attention.

My plan has flaws too :oh: At the Olympics Ireland's second most decorated athlete pre-games was Andrzej Jezierski a former Pole. He got virtually ZERO press attention whereas every slow-ass runner was analysed to death :tape: I never know what is more embarrassing the track and field team or the swim team.

Show's RTÉ priorities. :help: