Tennis Forum banner

Pac 12

177K views 2K replies 42 participants last post by  tennisbuddy12 
#1 ·
Continued because threads over 1,000 replies may get moved and the other Pac 10 thread was almost there. :lol:

#1,156 ·
I read somewhere that Gibbs was battling an injury during those 3 losses and struggled physically (could not hit the gym) and mentally (afraid to lose)... ;)

It doesn't mean Sabs is automatically a top 100 player based on your equations :lol:

I heard Wimby is paying out a windfall this year and early round losers expect to get paid 60% more than previous years. Maybe Gibbs should turn pro before Wimby. :lol:

#1,161 ·
from the daily bruin:
http://dailybruin.com/2013/04/25/pa...-for-womens-tennis-to-refine-individual-play/

With the NCAA championships on the horizon, the tournament provides the Bruins with the opportunity to rest players who have been hampered by injury, such as freshman Catherine Harrison and sophomore Robin Anderson.

“I think the tournament is important and it’s fun and something I think the players look forward to, but it’s not something we’ll do to sacrifice any of our players to play it,” said coach Stella Sampras Webster.

“Players that need more matches will play, and players that don’t and are banged up, will not play … because it’s all about getting ready for NCAAs as well,” said Sampras Webster.

Part of the reason why there are players who skip it.

#1,162 ·
They changed the draw again, locations. I thought it was suspicious that they play at LP today already :lol:

And yeah, can't find Ray :sad:

tiebreaker, I thought it has always been the same in regard to STAN's academic pressure? :lol: Does Gibbsy have to study more than Amber? :lol: I'd prefer the explanation that the competition has gotten stronger :devil:

#1,168 ·
Well yeah, the competition has alot to do with it. Can't deny it, but also, I think tennis players have to be more physically fit nowadays, aside from court time, hours at the gym is required. Those hours are just not available when you factor everything in, unless you go to UF :lol:

Lauren Embree ‏@lembree888 7h
I have been waiting so long for tonight...new episode of SCANDAL finalllyyyyyy @JoMather1

#1,163 ·
from the daily trojan:
http://dailytrojan.com/2013/04/24/usc-prepares-for-pac-12-tournament/

As a result, senior Danielle Lao and sophomore Sabrina Santamaria are being held out of the tournament to give them some rest before the NCAAs start next month.

In Lao’s absence, sophomore Zoë Scandalis will be playing as the top singles player for the Women of Troy, which provides a huge opportunity for the young player, who is ranked No. 32 in the country.

“We really want the girls to focus on their individual performances,” Gallien said. “If Zoë were to win the tournament [out of the No.1 spot], that would be a big deal.”

As for the team’s health, the Women of Troy seem to be in top shape heading into the final phase of a long season. Santamaria and Lao are “a bit dinged up,” according to Gallien, but the rest this weekend should cure any minor health issues they might be dealing with.

There were some errors again by the writer in this article, but I won't point them out. Go read the full article.

#1,164 ·
from STAN website;

" No. 29 Kristie Ahn (23-4 overall, 18-2 duals, team-best six-match winning streak) and No. 19 Krista Hardebeck (team-high 28 overall wins, 14-6 duals, 14-3 in tournament play, ITA Northwest Regional singles champion). "

The bolded part, that's not bad at all :lol: Didn't know Krista won so much :lol: And she clinched the win against UCLA by beating Kyle in 2. Not bad :lol:

#1,176 ·
Even without Gibbsy Stanford rules :lol:

Only Natalie isn't playing regular match tomorrow :eek:

6 PLAYERS ADVANCED!

CAL 5
UCLA 4
USC 2
UW 2
UTAH 2

players.

Schutting, KK, Tsay plays both.

Zsofi had to withdraw against Kyle trailing in the 2nd. Injury I guess. Thus, Tan/Tsay didn't have to face Zsofi/Klara and meets KK/Sabs tomorrow.

Didn't saw the end but KK/Sabs were on the brink of defeat, won 9-8(6). Chanelle must REALLY hate that court #2, last year with Robin.. :hysteric: led KK/Sabs 7-2 :lol:

Another delicious result;

Krista def. Pham 06, 76, 61 :hysteric: Didn't really watch this match, I had FAITH! :lol:

#1,178 ·
^ I'm going to tease Chanelle about this if I have a chance today :lol:

At the Open; 2 Bears, Fodor and Manasse advances to the semi, as well as Bruin Hickey. Harkleroad beats Katz.

Dbls final will likely be a match between UCLA vs CAL/USC; Gordon/Hickey vs Katz/Manasse

#1,181 ·
11. Pac-12 Women's Singles Championship
SF (3) Krista Hardbeck d. (2) Anett Schutting 6-4; 6-2
SF (8) Kyle McPhillips d. (6) Kristie Ahn 3-6; 6-1; 6-4
Q (2) Anett Schutting d. (7) Klara Fabikova 6-2; 6-4
Q (3) Krista Hardbeck d. Sarah Pham 0-6; 7-5; 6-1

Just a pair of "ordinary" freshman will be in the finals :eek:

SF Dolehide/Montez d. (3) Chi/Schutting 8-6
SF (1) Christian/Santamaria d. Tan/Tsay 8-4
Q Dolehide/Montez d. (2) Cako/Smith 8-6
Q (3) Chi/Schutting d. Olmos/Scandalis 8-1

#1 seed is a no surprise favorite...

SF (2) Ellen Tsay d. (4) Tayler Davis 4-2Ret (inj)
SF (6) Kaitlyn Christian d. Skylar Morton 6-2; 6-0
Q (2) Ellen Tsay d. Lindsey Kostas 6-3; 6-0
Q (4) Tayler Davis d. (5) Stephanie Vlad 4-6; 6-1; 10-6

I'd be surprise if Tsay if doesn't take it and leave Stanford without any hardware to bring back to the Farm :lol:

#1,195 ·
11. Pac-12 Women's Singles Championship

Just a pair of "ordinary" freshman will be in the finals :eek:
Dream Final! :drool: :hearts:

Don't you think so, 2ndserve? :lol:

I'd be surprise if Tsay if doesn't take it and leave Stanford without any hardware to bring back to the Farm :lol:
But KK is playing really well, it seems :devil:

This is just my outside view, but it seems like players going to Ucla don't really improve over their careers. Great talent comes in, they start off well and then kind of plateau, or regress. But I could be way off. Just seems like that. Wonder if carrying a huge roster has impacted player development?
I thought UCLA players actually got better, look at McCall Jones and Kaitlin Ray.

#1,184 ·
This is just my outside view, but it seems like players going to Ucla don't really improve over their careers. Great talent comes in, they start off well and then kind of plateau, or regress. But I could be way off. Just seems like that. Wonder if carrying a huge roster has impacted player development?

#1,186 ·
I agree. I feel like players should always earn the position in which they play, and I feel like Stella doesn't always do this. If I was on a team where I was playing in the lower positions and I knew I could be good enough to play the top 3, but if it wasn't a possibility, I could see my game becoming complacent.

I've had an issue all season long with Pam playing at #2 and she has rarely proven that she should play that spot, but Stella continued to put her there. After the Stanford/Cal matches, she finally made the switch back to putting Kyle at #2 and Kyle has shown she deserves to play there (beat Lao which was UCLA's only point at USC and look at her run at the Pac-12 tournament, including wins over Zsofi and Ahn). I think it mostly comes down to coaching.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.