Tennis Forum banner

The Eirini Paniyiri (Eirini Georgatou Cheering Thread)

74K views 801 replies 27 participants last post by  hellas719 
#1 ·
So, here is Irini's thread. I have been advised to put it here instead of the Greek Goddess Gang;)
Here is some basic information on Irini:
Born:January 5, 1990
Resides:Athens, Greece
CHR:568 (October 13, 2008)
Current Rank:613
DCHR:702 (March 23, 2009)
Doubles Current Rank:702
Career Highlights: Winner: $10,000 Mytilene, GRE(2008) Runner Up: $10,000 Ramat Hasharon, ISR(2008), $10,000 Raanana, ISR(2008)

This year, Irini has pushed Naomi Cavaday into a thir set TB, and has also pushed Emma Laine into three sets. Last year she pushed Melanie South into three sets. In 2007, she lost her ranking due to lack of activity. In 2006, she pushed South into two tough sets. In 2005, she was first ranked.

This week, Irini is playing in the semis of $10,000 Antalya-Belek (Turkey). Here are her results:
R1- d.(2)Schoofs 1-6 6-3 6-1
R2- d.(WC)Eradyin W/O
QF- d.(Q)Brazhnikova 6-1 6-2
SF- vs.(5)Schoeffel

Pame Irini!:bounce:

See less See more
#785 ·
I don't understand what's going on.

I hadn't read anything about her retirement. I assumed she was injured because I think last time she played she retired in Baku against Nicelescu if I'm not mistaken.

I thought her recovery was just taking a long time. I really hope she comes back, I saw her play in Melbourne and she was good. Always wanted her to at least make it into a Grand Slam or win a couple of main draw matches at tour level.

#786 ·
After Baku she played USO Qualies (how could you possibly forget her epic win over Kolar?) and then a few ITFs until the end of October ;)

And she should've beaten Sharipova in Tashkents MD last year, such a waste of a draw :eek:

#788 ·
Now unranked :(
I hope she comes back....

#789 ·
She was at a coaching seminar in Athens :eek:

#790 ·
1:10-1:20 is Eirini's sister, the Olympic diver :D

I miss Eirini :sad:

#791 ·
Some photos that I found that I don't think have been posted here before :p

#794 ·
Why did she stop? Do you know?

#795 ·
A video of her training in slow motion at Fed Cup in Israel in 2011:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/130624...6WM-6Hc4rr-6He3ft-8Nm1uf-8Nm1nA-8NhVqX-8Nm1hJ
The caption says its Papamichail but it's actually Eirini, I'm completely sure ;)

In August, Eirini went to the city of Sitia on the island of Crete for a week to promote the sport of tennis there :)

Eirini is the one in the white outfit at the beginning of this video, so nice to see her out there on the courts again :hearts:

A video from the event where you can see during some parts of it that Eirini is volleying with a young boy. :awww:

Mixed doubles exhibition in Sitia. Eirini is the one in the black and gray outfit, easily the best player out there in this video :inlove:

Someone commented on this video on YouTube saying Eirini's forehand that was called out was really in :oh:

Some points and interview

She basically said that in tennis you need to have a lot of support, etc. *And then she talked about the event ;)

I'm surprised that there was so much publicity at this event, and it's really good that even through she doesn't play tournaments anymore, she is stating close to the tennis courts :)

#796 · (Edited)
Eirini turned 24 just a few days ago! :aparty:

Also comment on this thread or send me a PM to let me know you read the message and then I will delete it after since this is Eirini's personal business from Facebook and I don't think she would like me posting it on here ;)

#798 ·
I saw her 3 times and the last time I saw her she was 21, I definitely didn't think it would be the last time :sobbing:

#799 ·
She was in Ioannina last weekend promoting tennis over there, good that she is still staying close to the courts even though I wish she would come back on tour...

#802 ·
She's turning 25 on Sunday and it's been over three years since her last match :sobbing:
Actually on Facebook her birthday is in January but ITF site says February so I'm not sure what to believe but people were writing happy birthday to her a few weeks ago on Facebook :lol:

She also posted a pic from US Open 2010 a few days ago and Ekshibarova (who was actually commenting in Greek which was surprising) and Botto commented on it telling her to come back but she didn't say anything back :awww:
Such a shame she hasn't played since she was 21, and she was having a pretty good season being in the top 200 with only 18 tournaments played :shrug:

I really hope she comes back and I still have some hope seeing that a lot of players who retire young tend to return to tour. One day...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.