Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 3

497K views 5K replies 172 participants last post by  Frode 
#1 ·
This to celebrate that the very promising Danish talent Caroline Wozniacki won her first Danish senior championship today, the youngest ever player to do so.

Go Caroline and congratulations on your first title!

This picture is an older one, but it was the best I had as no pictures from the Danish Championships have appeared yet.

See less See more
#5,054 ·
Next will be... can you only win a slam when your not ranked number one? Can you only win a slam if your not the favorite? Can you only win Wimbledon and why don`t you win on clay? Can you ever win French Open? When? What is wrong with your clay game?

Its never gonna stop. Reporters have 365 days to come up with this stuff. I took 365 seconds.

#5,055 ·
Caro is 180 points behind Clijsters. As I recall her 16th best result is 125 points. To become #1 again she'll have to reach SF in Dubai which will earn her 395 points. 395 - (125 + 180) = +90.

#5,056 ·
I'm sure that it is really not that complicated but I don't think that I will ever have a good understanding of how the rankings work. Math makes my head hurt.:confused:

#5,059 ·
So do they play the Doha tournament next week at the same location that the YEC was held?

#5,060 ·
Caro plays Chakvetadze tomorrow.

#5,063 ·
Hmm, Hantuchova lost fairly convincingly (6-1 6-3) so I'm guessing she was a bit wiped out by the flight from Pattaya (and that answers C.W. Fields' question about how she would handle the jetlag, now we will have to see how Petra does).

Caroline is 3-0 against Chakvetadze but strangely all three of their matches went three sets, including the semis at Copenhagen last year. Hopefully Caroline can break that trend and dispatch her in two quick sets, if she's going to win in Dubai she will be playing five matches in five days and starting that run with a three setter is probably not good for her chances of winning the title.

#5,062 · (Edited)
Guess Hantuchova did have some jetlag issues losing 1 & 3. That's the problem when 'low' ranked players win tournaments; they usually don't have a 1R bye the following week.
Chakvetadze should be manageable for Caro. They've never met on anything other than HC with Caro winning all their 3 matches, each one going to 3 sets, though. Their first match is a very nice memory; New Haven final 2008, Caro's first Premier title. :) Last match was Copenhagen half a year ago.
http://www.wtatour.com/headtohead/anna-chakvetadze_2255881_9939/0,,12781~9939~12631,00.html

#5,066 ·
Guess Hantuchova did have some jetlag issues losing 1 & 3.
Must be Jet-Lag, Absolutely no other physically possible explanation at all. :devil:

'Yesterday I was trying to recover, but there was just not enough time.'
'I was happy to win the tournament there, but of course I wanted to do well here as well,' she said.
'For that I think I would need at least three, four days to get used to. Here the conditions are so different, players arrive so early before the tournament to be ready. 'To expect to get used to it after a 30-minute hit, it's impossible.'

#5,069 ·
So did Caro call on a coach during her Fed Cup singles matches?

#5,072 ·
As WCF has said , Kvitova is out, so if Caroline beats Chakvetadze its either Mirza or Morita, which makes her Quarter suddenly less daunting.

As for Na Li, she might meet Peers, who beat her in both of their meetings last year, soooo!!! lets not succumb to the doom before it happens. Our girl might make it far enough to be #1 again, and we will be able to hear the wailing, rending of clothes and gnashing of teeth on GM all the way over here.

#5,073 ·
Gosh, have some faith in Caroline. She is perfectly capable of beating Kvitova, Li and anyone else in this tournament. I would have preferred to see her play Kvitova and I'm hoping that she meets Li.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.