Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

864K views 6K replies 140 participants last post by  Michael! 
#1 ·
This is a great idea to start this topic...
I shall dedicate this thread to the player who made me notice tennis and follow it eversince I saw her play.....

Steffi Graf!
:bounce: :bounce:

#2,280 ·
I find the CNNSI headline now very annoying. "Golden Slam", it says. Excuse me, it isn't. It's a career Golden Slam but the way they say, it's almost like Serena replicated Steffi's unparalleled achievement. Ah well. I guess the Olympics tends to make people a bit more emotional and excited but winning the Gold medal a decade after you won at least one of each of the four slams doesn't come close to winning everything in the same year.

#2,282 ·
I think when Andre Agassi won his career Golden Slam, people then at least called it a career Golden Slam (noting the word 'career'). Now the word career is being omitted.

I just read now: "It's the Serena slam! Williams matches Graf with career golden slam after blitzing Sharapova" I can't believe the two are being put on the same level for extremely different achievements. One sentence in the article indicated that Steffi won all five (4 majors + olympic Gold) in the same year, but it was almost mentioned in passing like it wasn't such a huge achievement. I should just stop reading these articles.

#2,283 ·
Agreed. Steffi won the five most prestigious titles in a span of 9 months! Serena took over five years. Huge accomplishment by Serena, but lets not call it a golden slam. Its a career golden slam, which is a huge accomplishment, but still far less impressive than what Steffi did.

#2,285 · (Edited)
Just read 2 new articles in which you can read about "Golden Slam", absolutely no mention of doing it in one year or a career...and from 2 tennis specialized media...:rolleyes:
I don't even mention the GM here or people bringing the doubles into conversation, while one player stopped playing doubles very early and the other one plays it at every GS...
(% stats are the only reliable stats to me.=
Whatever.

#2,286 ·
At least CNN SI tennis changed the headline to "The Gold Standard". Maybe some people pointed it to them and they made the correction. Regardless, at least that's one less article proclaiming Serena's success as a Golden Slam.

LOL I know this sounds so fanatical for me to be upset by this but I am just not pleased at the inaccuracy of these exaggerations.

#2,287 ·
It's not about being fanatical, just about being correct.
They are journalists, people read them (some (a lot) probably don't know about older achievements), in some article it's written She (and Nadal too back in 2010) joined Steffi by doing the same thing, same Golden Slam...yeah the same in 9months or 90years so the same achievement.
Why in the world tarnishing what a real golden slam and even grand slam (earlier this year with Djokovic if he had won the FO they all called this a Grand Slam) are ?
I just don't get WHY ?
And it's not over (if Roger does it too lol)

#2,288 ·
Have to remember SI is an American magazine and most of the journalists don't even bother doing their homework. Surprised that many of the journalists didn't know Steffi's 87-89 statistics till recently, even the ones who claimed to admire her. So not a surprise for that heading. At least they bothered to change after feedback which they seldom did in the past.

Steffi is at Olympics, participated with Gonzalez in a QA session, here is her take on the Men's final:
http://sport.uk.msn.com/video-clips/?VideoID=2i22l7po#

#2,290 ·
Steffi is at Olympics, participated with Gonzalez in a QA session, here is her take on the Men's final:
http://sport.uk.msn.com/video-clips/?VideoID=2i22l7po#
Nice to hear Steffi's positive comments about Andy Murray. I'm really hoping Andy can win; I think it sucks for him that he just had to peak at the same time that Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic are at their legendary best and I truly feel he is the best player to (so far) not have won a Grand Slam title. He's 2 sets to love up now and I'm hoping he can close it out. (Sorry, off-topic I know...)

#2,289 · (Edited)
No no, it's not only SI, American, I ve read French, Swiss, Belgian press it's the same, and it was absolutely the same with Djoko and Nadal when they had the opportunity to win all 4 slams in a row...in 2 years.

Wait, I didn't even try to read German press, if even them call it a Golden Slam and compare the achievement with Steffi's one, I stop reading 4ever:eek::lol:

Edit : the world is safe :lol:, none of them (newspapers) is comparing it to what Steffi did in 88.
They speak about Career Golden Slam, the only one who write Golden Slam put it between quotation marks and then precises she achieved it during a career not in one year (they all precise it actually)

#2,291 ·
Posted this a long time ago elsewhere, but here goes again:

Exhausted at the Goal of an Unbelievable Run
Steffi Graf wins gold and wishes for only one more thing: Quiet at last
Süddeutsche Zeitung
3 October 1988
By Ludger Schulze

Steffi Graf was asked what she would perhaps want if she had one free wish in her eventfully boring life now that even the very last athletic dream of the young tennis player is fulfilled. "I would wish to already be at home. So I'm counting the days, I'm counting the hours until I can leave here," said the Olympic champion very softly, but yet loud enough to allow the scream of a tormented soul to be audible. And that it was, not some mere set phrase.

This requires no psychology to establish. Steffi Graf is finished, inwardly empty, almost dead looking. After her 6-3, 6-3 victory in the final against the Argentine Gabriela Sabatini she presented a sad, almost pitiful look. That certainly isn't one's idea of a delightedly beaming winner, quite the contrary. At the obligatory press conference, she was nervous, concentrated with difficulty, constantly ran her hands through her hair, fidgeted at her face with her fingers. "I came here very, very tired, quite definitely not in the best shape," she said. And when she arrived at the Seoul airport, she got caught in a tumultuous swirl of journalists, Steffi here, Steffi there, Steffi, Steffi, Steffi.

She can't take a step anymore without being watched, everyone wants something from her. The blonde superstar gave away control and self-determination over her life, she is - by all the success - under the rule of other people. She looks right through her interviewers, as though her eyes were fixed on some alluring point far in the distance. Steffi Graf is barely aware anymore. Also like filtered through a wall of bodyguards, who protect her from annoyances of every kind, the existence of Steffi Graf takes place under a microscope. Even her sex life (whether existing or not) is put out on the public market. And even if she could withdraw to the isolation of the Galapagos Islands, presumably the birds would want to have autographs.

The inhuman pressure, which weighs heavily on her, leads her to react like a string puppet, almost like in a trance. Presumably, there is only one place in the world at the moment where she is wide-awake, full of imagination and zest for life: the tennis court. Sabatini, her opponent, the only one who already defeated Steffi Graf this year (and that just twice), didn't have the hint of a chance. Just in the first three or four games, the 19-year-old from Brühl rushed the Argentine from corner to corner, up to the net and back to the baseline. "She was dead in the first 20 minutes," said Ion Tiriac, the manager of Boris Becker, afterwards, "but that was already five minutes longer than I expected!" Only, he could not understand that the dark-haired South American with the mighty shoulders had learned nothing from the previous 13 losses (in 15 encounters). But that is so easily said, against this forehand, this mobility, there seems to be no answer. Steffi Graf is a perfect athlete.

In the estimation of the German national coach Klaus Hofsäss, Sabatini played her best game in this eternal duel, "but after 35 minutes, she was out of gas." From time to time, she shook her head in despair, the sympathies of the spectators belonged to the loser. "But I certainly can't suffer with her," said Steffi Graf, who immediately succeeded Helen Wills (USA). That woman was the last gold medal winner in tennis in 1924.

At 5-3 in the second set, she was quite sure, said Graf, of almost reaching the goal of an unbelievable long distance race: After winning the Australian, French, English, and United States championships, she now pulled off the Super Grand Slam, so to say, at Seoul. "Not very many after me will succeed in doing that," she commented. Despite all her emotional exhaustion, the young lady from Brühl could still yet feel joy about this great achievement. She had "goose-flesh" down her back during the national anthem - presumably just like all the others who are permitted to stand at the highest step on the pedestal.

Undoubtedly, the Olympic experience was not the biggest thing for Steffi Graf, "that was Wimbledon, I also played my best tennis there." Apart from maybe the semifinals in Seoul against Zina Garrison (USA), who had to put up with athletic humiliation for 45 minutes before the 2-6, 0-6 match was finally settled. "Now I have achieved everything," groaned Steffi Graf, and it certainly didn't sound as though she was happy about it. What still remains? "I still want to improve my game," she set as a goal.

It would be nice to wish that the friendly, kind Steffi Graf gets her life back in her own hands again. Other superstars like Michael Jackson or Madonna know how difficult that is, probably even impossible. Possibly, it will already help the young girl to also play a little less tennis, to have more quiet. However, on the 4th and 6th of October, she competes again already in two so-called exhibitions against Sabatini. "It's all the same to me whether I get money or not. To an athlete, the victory is much more important." In every respect, the two exhibitions against her Olympic final opponent are highly lucrative, highly superfluous. And dangerous. Because there is an IOC rule which states that all commercial contracts in the timespan of one week before to one week after the Games have to cease. Of course, in these days, an Olympic competitor is also not allowed to play in a professional event. In the opposite case, disqualification is threatened. And Steffi Graf really will not have taken everything upon herself.

#2,292 ·
He did it ! So happy for him. No slam, but a gold at home, who needs slams ? lol
Classy Roger during the medals ceremony kissing his silver medal while he should feel so sad.
And this exhausted and devastated Del Potro who still managed to win bronze, after the epic match from yesterday.
Mens Tennis is really worth following it. LOVE it.

Mr Anthropic, Where did you get this article ??? Don't you have to pay for SZ archiv ? Whatever HUGE thank you.

Dind't know Steffi was at the Olympics, great surprise ;)

#2,298 ·
Mr Anthropic, Where did you get this article ??? Don't you have to pay for SZ archiv ? Whatever HUGE thank you.

Dind't know Steffi was at the Olympics, great surprise ;)
Back in the brave old days of alt.fan.steffi-graf, the somewhat infamous Calimero/"Max Eberl" sent a pile of German articles and interviews to me. (Some of you probably know me, at least by (hopefully) good reputation; I am Amy.) I think I still have a few that I never got around to translating and/or posting.

Also, I think Steffi is considered to be a member of the "Olympic family," so making an appearance is probably encouraged.

#2,295 ·
haha 2 monster forehands indeed. I think I read a status message on Steffi's facebook page that said she was in London for the Olympics. And yes, I am really happy that Andy Murray won an Olympic Gold medal! I hope he can finally breakthrough and win at least one major.

#2,297 ·
This little blurb from the Hamburger Morgenpost"
5 August 2012
Die Olympia-Kolumne der MOPO
Warten mit Gräfin – Pinkeln mit König
Nils Weber

Plötzlich steht sie neben mir, in der Schlange vor einem Stadion-Kiosk, wo sie fettige „Pies“, Blätterteig-Pasteten, verkaufen. Die Gräfin. Nein, nicht die Gräfin von Wessex, Her Royal Highness Sophie Helen Mountbatten-Windsor, Angetraute von Prinz Andrew, Graf von Wessex und jüngster Sohn von Elisabeth II, Königin von Großbritannien. Puh, diese Royals kosten die Briten nicht nur Steuergelder, sondern auch mich verdammt viele Zeilen! Nein, ich meine die Gräfin von Wimbledon: Steffi Graf. Die hat sich im Olympia-Stadion unters Fußvolk gemischt, kein VIP, keine Bodyguards.

„Hallo Steffi“, sage ich. „Darf ich dich auf eine Pie einladen?“ – „Ja, gern“, antwortet sie und strahlt wie nach ihrem siebten Wimbledonsieg, „ich nehme eine Nieren-Pastete.“ – „Sollen gut sein. Wie geht’s denn?“ – „Ach, man schlägt sich so durch.“ – „Wo ist Andre?“ – „Hat die Kinder.“ – „Lust, nachher noch was trinken zu gehen?“ – „Warum nicht?!“

So oder so ähnlich wäre es bestimmt passiert, wenn ich mir nicht ein Beispiel an der britischen Zurückhaltung genommen hätte, mit der das Publikum den Sportadel bei Olympia empfängt und nicht bestürmt, sondern in Ruhe lässt. Zwei Minuten lang freue ich mich diskret über die stille Zusammenkunft. Dann ist sie dran und geht. Ohne Nieren-Pie. Ohne mich.

Steffi Graf ist nur eine von unzähligen olympischen Legenden, die die Spiele mit ihrer Anwesenheit beehren. Die meisten sind als TV-Experten hier. Sport-Adel auf engstem Raum. Es kommt zu Begegnungen der dritten Art. Neben dem einstigen Zehnkampf-König Dan O’Brien stehe ich an der Pinkelrinne, Kristin Otto sitzt in der Medien-Mensa am Nebentisch, Michael Johnson rempelt mich auf dem Weg auf die Pressetribüne an.

Ex-Sprint-Weltrekordler Donovan Bailey bittet mich um ein Foto (Scherz). Der Knaller ist aber die nächtliche Busfahrt mit Hollands-Schwimmlegende Pieter van den Hoogenband, der mit drei TV-Typen darüber plaudert, welcher deutsche Schwimmstar total nervt, welche US-Wassernixe nur das eine will und welcher einstige Pool-Hero auf Männer steht. Details kann ich Ihnen leider nicht mitteilen. Kein Platz mehr. Beschwerden bitte an die Royal Family: Buckingham Palace, London SW1A 1AA.

And in English:
Hamburger Morgenpost Olympic Column
Waiting With the Countess - Peeing With the King
Nils Weber
5 August 2012

Suddenly she was standing next to me in the line of a stadium kiosk where they sell greasy puff-pastry pies. The Countess. No, not the Countess of Wessex, Her Royal Highness Sophie Helen Mountbatten-Windsor, better half of Prince Andrew [sic], Earl of Wessex and youngest son of Elizabeth II, Queen of Great Britain. Puh! These Royals cost the Brits not only tax money, but also require of me so damn many lines! No, I mean the Countess of Wimbledon: Steffi Graf. She was mixing amongst the footlings in the Olympic Stadium, no VIP, no bodyguards.

"Hello, Steffi," I say. "May I invite you for a pie?" -- "Yeah, sure," she answers and beams just like after her seventh Wimbledon victory. "I'll take a kidney pie." -- "Supposed to be good. How's it going then?" -- "Oh, you just push on through." -- "Where is Andre?" -- "Has the kids." -- "Feel like getting something to drink later on?" -- "Why not?!"

Or so something similar would have certainly happened, if I hadn't taken example from the British reserve, with which the public receive the sport nobility and don't bombard, but rather leave in peace. For two long minutes I am discreetly delighted with the quiet meeting. Then it's her turn and she goes. Without kidney pie. Without me.

Steffi Graf is only one of the countless Olympic legends who honor the Games with their presence. Most are here as TV experts. Sport nobles in a confined space. It gets around to close encounters of the third kind. I stand next to the decathalon king Dan O'Brien in the pee line, Kristin Otto sits at an adjacent table in the media commons, Michael Johnson bumps into me on the way to the press stands.

Former sprint world record holder Donovan Bailey asks me for a photo (just joking). But the topper is the nightly bus ride with Holland's swimming legend Pieter van den Hoogenband, who chats with three TV types about which German swim star totally annoys, which US water sprite wants only one thing, and which former pool hero gets a rise out of men. The details, unfortunately, I can't share with you. No more space. Please complain to the Royal Family: Buckingham Palace, London SW1A 1AA.

#2,303 ·
It is August 13. In commemoration of the day Steffi broke free:

A Star Excuses Herself
The 30-year-old dominated tennis like no other player of her era, and she shied away from publicity like no other
Süddeutsche Zeitung
14/15 August 1999
Page 3
By Holger Gertz

Somehow, it was a beautiful picture, the last one of Steffi Graf's career. A symbolic picture. On the one side, the reporters with their cameras, and Steffi Graf at the table in front of them. She sat alone. No manager, no coach, no press attaché, not even a tennis racquet to hold on to. Only Steffi Graf. She opened the press conference by herself, it was four minutes after twelve when she whispered: "Today I will announce my retirement from tournament tennis." A strange sentence, spoken thus in the future tense, as though there were still a little bit more time until her farewell. But the reporters understood the sentence, how it was meant: I retire. No grace period. For a moment it was quiet. That is rare when reporters are gathered together. The event must be very great in order to make them silent.

One could have celebrated the farewell of Steffi Graf differently than in the "New York" room of a Heidelberg hotel. One could have shipped oneself to New York, to a tennis stadium, and let balloons loose into the air. But that would have been nothing for Steffi Graf. The end of her career was like the career itself; no big production, instead sending out a fax two days beforehand to the most important editorial offices in the country. It wasn't easy for her to invite the journalists. It is never easy for her to speak with them, and for the most part, she didn't do it. In press conferences after her matches, her blonde hair hung like a curtain in front of her face, spoke about her forehand and about down-the-line shots, like a surgeon speaks about his instruments. But she said nothing about herself. She locked herself up, didn't return the gaze of the fifty to a hundred pairs of eyes in front of her. She looked sad, even after victories, after a few minutes the press conference was mostly over. It differed in no way from all the other press conferences, only the scene changed: Wimbledon, Paris, Melbourne, Berlin. And Steffi's T-shirts changed: sometimes red, sometimes blue, preferably black.

The Misery of the Spotlight

Black was her favorite color, she once said. From that, journalists concluded that she had a dark soul, was melancholy, suicidal, was morbid, so to say. They were attempts at an explanation, approaches from a distance, vague diagnoses. In Heidelberg, she wore light colors. "I know I was not always simple," she said. "I wished many things would have come easier to me." It almost sounded like an apology, that's even just like Steffi Graf. One could interpret it that way, anyhow.

No one knows Steffi Graf. To this day, there is no correct portrait of Steffi Graf in any newspaper, instead loads of interpretations. Only sometimes, in a half sentence, Graf revealed a small piece of her character, as in the brief story she confided to "Die Zeit." She was at a concert given by her favorite singer Carlos Santana, but it was once again a game of hide and seek. Graf never sits in the front row at concerts, she always keeps her distance from the stage because she doesn't want to be spotted. But Santana has good eyes. He saw her, interrupted his song, and wouldn't leave off until she joined him on stage. Steffi Graf explained how bloody awful she felt at that moment, in front of three thousand people with a samba rattle in her hand: "I could have screamed."

Steffi Graf's relationship with the journalists, and through which what we call her relationship with the public, was destroyed, at the latest since the newspapers had taken on her father Peter, a used car salesman and undiplomatic tennis instructor, who had put a sawed off tennis racquet in his daughter's hand when she was four and with which they hit balls against the cellar wall for hours. While the daughter became the best player of all time, Peter Graf, who was still only called "Father Graf" in the tabloids, developed into a show-off who carried off his daughter's prize money in plastic bags, partly to avoid the taxes, who fooled around with a nude model, and landed in jail in the meantime. Graf's mother, in the players' box at almost every match, looked as though she suffered terribly from the escapades of her husband. And Steffi Graf must have felt terrible, burdened by the suspicion, maybe the certainty, that the price for her career was the breakdown of her family.

Steffi Graf was scared of questions about her family. There were absurd scenes of refusal. Once in Toronto, when a reporter mentioned her father, she ran from the room with tears in her eyes [sic]. In the summer of 1996, when she played in Germany again for the first time in a long while, at the German Open in Berlin, the reporters had to swear to the press staff of the German Tennis Federation not to snoop around too much. She granted an interview to a man from the TV station SFB, because he is an old friend of the family and always called her "Stefanie Graf," as though he must emphasize how very much he respects her. But he is also a journalist and as such it gives him the job of asking questions even when it hurts. The interview was on live TV, the other reporters held their microphones in the direction of the two as they were talking about forehands and backhands and knee problems and Graf's nephew who was eight months old at the time. "He has already brought an unbelievable amount of joy to the family," said Steffi Graf. Then the interview was over, and Steffi Graf stormed by the reporters and slapped at an impertinently outstretched TV camera with her forehand as she retreated.

Silence As Reward?

Can a woman who is the best tennis player of her era, maybe of all time, expect that as a reward for her achievement, we will keep silent about her private life? She can like to ask for the people not to be all that interested, but she can't demand their indifference. She couldn't even demand the mercy of the tabloids who hounded her in a way, like they have recently done to the former football national coach Berti Vogts. Initially, they recommended she have plastic surgery on her nose and ran digitally altered photos next to Graf's original face. Her victories didn't happen at a young enough age. Later, when she constantly had to withdraw from tournaments because of all her injuries, the tabloids wrote her off every week on their front pages in bold letters. And not only as a broken-down athlete, which would have been unfair enough, but also as a failed human being. Someone like Graf always functions as a media figure in extremes: first as a star, then as a fallen star, and when it seemed to become apparent that tearful stories about her return would have to wait, she must be portrayed as a woman in financial need, she who had earned more than 100 million Marks up to 1995. "Does she need money?" inquired "Bild am Sonntag" with hypocritical worry, with a hidden assertion worked into every question. When she came back after an operation in which her knee was taken apart and completely rebuilt, these newspapers were the first to beg her: Please, play longer.

All that, the constant alternation of praise to the heavens and damnation can also be seen as evidence that Graf's significance stretched far beyond the trappings of a white-lined rectangle. She was a social event without wanting to be one, in a country that has no entertainment star on an international scale and not even a king. Steffi Graf and her colleague Boris Becker, like from a whim of history that emerges almost at the same time and disappears almost at the same time of its own accord, were the substitute royal couple with whom the paparazzi had so much to do, like elsewhere in the world with Diana, Bill Clinton, or Michael Jackson. Becker quickly understood the rules, he played the pop star, with dark glasses and a cool look, surrounded by a gang of managers and advertising experts who hyped him when he wanted it and hid from the public the fact that his best years as an athlete had run out long ago.

Allez -- For the last time

Steffi Graf was an outstanding athlete to the very end; in a time when everywhere pills are gulped down and drugs are injected, where doping is therefore cheating, she gave the public reason to believe that someone can climb up to standard again due to an incredible amount of training. And climb over losses. Last autumn, she played once more in New York at the US Open, and lost against a player by the name of Patty Schnyder. On the official tableau on the wall of the press center, stood the name "Steffi Graff," on some notes from an interview was "Steffi Graph." She was injured again and kept her hurting hand hidden under the table during the press conference after the Schnyder match. After that, she went into hiding, practiced, and when one called up her manager Hans Engert to get an interview, he said it would certainly go smoothly soon. It never went smoothly. Martina Hingis, the number one in the world, spoke about it. Hingis talked a lot and said above all one sentence: Graf would never more be competitive.

Winter came, spring came, June came, a Saturday in Paris. It was the day on which Steffi Graf really retired with a win which she called the "most important in my career." The final of the French Open was a culmination of her career, at least the last phase of it. She lost the first set against Hingis, behind in the second, the journalists began to type their reports on their laptops. Then she won a few points, then both took a bathroom break. Graf was the first one back out and found the spectators standing, calling out: "Steffiiiii." It was a strange atmosphere, the crowd felt a sense of farewell at that particular moment. There was a general delight in the air: Allez Steffiiii, come on Steffi, win this one. And Steffi Graf, the always self-controlled, always reserved Graf, yielded to the mood, raised her arms in the air and did the Wave with the people. It was completely different than before at the Santana concert, and if she had screamed, then it would have been for joy. Hingis came back, but she made no impression on the wall created by Steffi Graf and all the people.

A Century-Subject

At the end, everyone cried, at least a little. Even the quite old reporters, who had been there when Graf won her first tournament at Hilton Head in 1986, lit cigarettes to calm themselves with trembling fingers. That was a comeback, Graf had known it better than all the doctors, journalists, opponents, than all the know-it-alls. Lifting the trophy high above your head once more and then going; letting everyone feel once more what will be missing when you aren't around anymore. That must be a dream.

After that came one more Wimbledon final, but that was only an outtake. Graf took the loss well, better than the reporters did. She knew it was over. She knew herself best of all. She practiced a little more, injured herself again a little bit, didn't feel the fire anymore, let her manager draft the fax, and retired on cool day in Heidelberg. It was Friday the thirteenth.

An unlucky day? Oh God, she didn't die. Steffi Graf looked a little sad, but also very relieved. She didn't say much that was new: She wants to travel now and take a vacation and play a few exhibitions at the end of the year. Everything is said about Steffi Graf: 30 years old, 22 Grand Slam wins, 377 weeks at number one. Maybe Number One still, a last time. Soon, all sports journalists must hand in a ballot in which they were asked to choose the German female athlete of the century. In a few weeks, the end of the century, the result will be announced. It will be clear.

#2,308 ·
Was that one of the days the CNN/SI board crashed because of too much traffic?

Another bit of retirement trivia: There was a total solar eclipse in Europe on that Wednesday (the 11th), and Steffi had toyed with the idea of announcing her retirement then. The headlines would have been great: "Graf retires from tennis and the sun goes dark."

#2,314 ·
So... about Steffi, there are people like me here, who every October 24th has a moment of nostalgia a propos the retirement of Gabriela?

#2,318 ·
I was also, well, still am, a fan of Sabatini so I was also saddened by her retirement in 1996. It did seem like she lost a bit of her mojo after that loss to Mary Joe Fernandez in the French Open. She had a lot of bad results after that and it took a long time before she won another tournament. Which is why I was really happy when she won the 1994 year-end championships. For me, if Graf couldn't win it, then it was great that Sabatini did.

#2,320 ·
I saw Serena play against Eleni Danilidou at Cincy 2 days ago. Eleni plays slice backhand quite a bit, and I could see that even Serena was quite troubled by that shot (Eleni can also hit disguised dropshots the way Steffi used to do, using her backhand). So yes, if Steffi were match-fit, she would beat many of the current players.

#2,322 ·
Might have been Steffi's own personal "longest day."

Graf Provides A Double Treat
Special to The New York Times
Published: August 21, 1989
New York Times

MAHWAH, N.J., Aug. 20— It was not a day of formidable opponents or close matches for Steffi Graf. Her remarkable ability seemed to dwarf the portable stadium at Ramapo College, built for the United Jersey Bank Tennis Classic.

But the modest surroundings didn't prevent the 20-year-old West German from looking every bit like the best women's tennis player in the world as she won a semifinal match this morning and the singles and championship this afternoon.

The close view provided by the small facility was a treat for the fans, as Graf's elegantly powerful game continually drew gasps of disbelief from the 4,128 spectators who watched the final.

'She's Really Something'

''Boy, she's really something,'' said Art Hansen, a 60-year-old sales engineer from Ridgewood, N.J., who, from a seat in the sixth row, was watching her play live for the first time. ''When you're here you can really see how overwhelming she is.''

It took Graf a while to adjust to the topspin play of Andrea Temesvari, but when she did, she handled the 23-year-old Hungarian easily, 7-5, 6-2, to win the championship and the $40,000 singles prize.

In the morning, Graf won a semifinal match against Linda Ferrando, 6-1, 6-2. The semifinals were rescheduled because of rain Saturday. It was the first time Graf had played a singles semifinal and a final in the same day.

And after the singles championship, Graf went on to win a doubles semifinal match and the final with Pam Shriver, 6-2, 6-4, over Louise Allen and Laura Gildemeister. Rain had backed those matches up as well. Graf started playing this morning at 10 A.M., and four victories later, she finished at 5:43 P.M.

A Whipping Forehand

She was at the top of her game in the first match of the day, whipping her signature forehand deep into the corners. Her match with Ferrando, the 47th-ranked player in the world, lasted only 40 minutes.

The 23-year-old Temesvari, however, struggled in the morning against Stacey Martin. That semifinal lasted 2 hours 23 minutes, and took its toll on the Hungarian as the ensuing championship match progressed.

Both Temesvari and Graf held serve in the first set until the West German broke in the 11th game. With the score tied, 15-15, Temesvari sliced open shots wide on two consecutive points, and then double-faulted, giving Graf a 6-5 lead. Graf held serve to win the set.

After taking the first game of the second set with an ace, Temesvari appeared to tire. Graf won 15 of the next 16 points, and went on to victory in a match that lasted an hour.

''I didn't play too well, I have to say,'' Graf said, alluding to the first set. ''I knew I didn't play close to what I can play, but I knew if I kept trying I would come back.''

Temesvari, ranked 56th, put Graf on the defensive with powerful first serves in the first set, but in the second she started missing and Graf was able to gain advantage when returning second serves. Temesvari, who is making a comeback after missing almost two years because of injuries, said she needed to develop more consistency while serving, adding that fatigue was also a factor.

''I got tired by the end of the first set, and my feet started burning,'' she said. ''I played two matches at Hilton Head this year, but a semifinal and a final is different. When you play Steffi, you run around and you don't get any easy winners.''

Graf, who has a 61-2 match record this season, went over the $1 million mark for the season with the singles victory. After winning the doubles, she had earned $1,025,905.

This was Graf's 10th singles championship of the year, the 38th of her career and her 3d here in four years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.