Tennis Forum banner

Caroline Garcia

363K views 5K replies 155 participants last post by  maloofhoof 
#1 ·
Caro is currently France's number 2 in the 1993 generation, far away from Kristina obviously. Still, her results are good enough to follow them on a thread. She is born in October, which could explain why her talent has been overshadowed by girls born earlier in the year.

She plays with a double-handed backhand and her best shot is definitely her serve. Her forehand has lots of firepower as well. She still has to work on her return and movement, I'd say.

She is 64th on the junior ranking (but won her first Grade 1 tournament beating Allgurin, Mestach and Cepede). On the pro tour, she is part of top 700 thanks to good showings in 25k. She's slightly overanked I think but she does have interesting wins over Riner, Dabija and Kondratieva.

Allez Caro :)

#419 ·
she finally played Iveta Benesova in Q1 she lost 2 and 3

well still think it is a liitle bit too "soon" to play such big tournaments. Not ready to beat top40-50 players yet. Her shedule would have been better if she played smaller tournaments in South America to gain wins and points

but well at least she saw what she needs to work on

next : kuala lumpur

#421 ·
yes you are right. But well Azarenka is just at her peak level right now, she beat radwanska 2 and 2 despite being injured so you cant have her as a real point of comparison

Caroline needs more matchs, more tournaments to improve cause as you said she still doesnt know how to win cause she doesnt believe in her enough. She has big potential but doesnt know how to use it yet.

I still think she has to be more complete player to make real impact on the tour.

#425 ·
yes you are right. But well Azarenka is just at her peak level right now, she beat radwanska 2 and 2 despite being injured so you cant have her as a real point of comparison

Caroline needs more matchs, more tournaments to improve cause as you said she still doesnt know how to win cause she doesnt believe in her enough. She has big potential but doesnt know how to use it yet.

I still think she has to be more complete player to make real impact on the tour.
No, I was wrong as I was too quick to read a particular scoreline as encouraging when most likely it wasn't.

Playing KL MD may not be such a bad idea. She could enter a few challengers I suppose, but she'd find a way to lose in them just the same and it would be much more damaging for her confidence. Or would it? When the problem isn't skill level but competitiveness/learning how to win, what do you do? And what kind of coaching you give to such a player? E.g. what should her coach do after seeing her lose a 3rd set TB to someone "who has never been a player and probably never will be"? Upbraid her for a full hour? Or just say "Forget about it" and let her go out with her hussy of a doubles partner who only has an eye for boys?

#426 ·
Comment on latest disaster, same as posted at GM:

There's choking, and then there's Caroline Garcia.

Brain freezes completely at the slightest hint of pressure. "Brain freezes completely" is to be taken literally - the stuff she does at crunch time makes no sense whatsoever, it's just completely random, and she even stops moving her feet. It's pure panic.

#428 ·
very tough loss but come on dont be so harsh on her. She showed great level there, once again like you said the finish is not there. She doesnt know how to win a match but she's improving.

at 40-15 I was praying for a "miracle" like an ace or serve and volley but then I remembered this is her second biggest match on the wta level against a top10-15 player,her first was against sharapova last year

her backhand is still a big weakness, and her serve could be improved, such at her returns, should be playing more doubles imo to come to the net more often

she withdrew to the Nassau 100K so should not be playing in the USA imo. Perhaps getting ready for the clay court season...

#429 ·
very tough loss but come on dont be so harsh on her.
I would never.

Caroline :hug:

All fanbases, even those of overachieving hackballers, always claim that their faves are immensely talented, but "choking" and "being a headcase" prevents them from reaching their full GOATential. Only in Caroline's case that's more than true.

I mean, the way she completely freezes under pressure, regardless of setting, opponent and/or level of competition, is quite unlike anything I've seen before, and we've all seen horrendous choking many, many times. It's so bad that it might prevent her from successfully transitioning to the pro level. I'm not saying that will happen, or even that it's likely to happen, but at the moment it's an actual risk that can't be disregarded. And of course Caroline herself is aware of this. At crunch time she's shit scared because she knows that she'll get tight, and that there's nothing that she can do about it.

should be playing more doubles imo to come to the net more often
Where she'd get passed left and right, like everyone else these days. Maybe you're on to something though - if instead of staying glued to the baseline to frame routine rally shots into the stands she'd foolishly rush the net to get passed, she'd be able to claim that there was nothing she could do, hadn't her opponent hit a winner after all?

#430 ·
being passed when you're at the net is a risk that should be taken cause it's worthy of big courage imo and on match point you should make something "special"

and also BECAUSE it is very RARE to see a player coming to the net, with her natural power she should work on sequences at training to find a way to come to the net easyly and finish it off

if only she could have amélie as her coach, hopefully she'll be the new fed cup captain next year, caroline could improve so much with her

#434 ·
Lost 64 64...

Caroline had 11 break points but oncly converted 1 of them. Actually Panova had only 3 break points but still managed to convert all. Bad stats for Caro again. She should have won this kind of match now !

#445 ·
Since their match in RG? I thought that Caroline would actually take a lot of positive things from that match. I remember telling myself "this girl's ready".
Why do you think it went the other way? I haven't followed her since then.