Tennis Forum banner

Romania to finally host a WTA event in 2014?

7K views 56 replies 14 participants last post by  Belle de Jour 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Re: WTA event in Romania??

Of course! :shrug:
I've been wanting this for a LONG time. Europe needs more tournaments. Is it fair that Mexico has more tournaments than Germany or Russia? Is it fair that Uzbekistan, Qatar, UAE, South Korea, and now Azerbaijan get events and Romania, Greece, Serbia, Belgium, Switzerland, Croatia, Ukraine, etc. don't :rolleyes:

But I think Romania deserves it more than other countries since they are the future of women's tennis :shrug:
It should be held on clay where they play the ATP event :shrug:

#5 ·

Is it fair that Mexico has more tournaments than Germany or Russia? Is it fair that Uzbekistan, Qatar, UAE, South Korea, and now Azerbaijan get events and Romania, Greece, Serbia, Belgium, Switzerland, Croatia, Ukraine, etc. don't :rolleyes:
Belgium has one in Hertogenbosch on grass ;)

#3 ·

We'll probably have one but not in the next 2-3 years. There were talks about an International (220k) tournament in Romania, but due to the financial crisis the sponsors postopned their support. Romania is still in recession but next year the economy will start growing again and maybe the sponsors will show some interest for a WTA tournament.

I think it should be held in Brasov on clay, just before RG. Brasov has one of the most beautiful tennis complexes I've ever seen ;) bigger stands are nedeed but there's enough space for that...

#12 ·

:cheer:

#14 ·

Hopefully:
MD-Cirstea, Dulgheru, Niculescu, Halep, Begu, Gallovits-Hall
MDWC-Olaru, E.Bogdan, Gojnea
Q-Ungur, Cadantu
QWC-Dabija, Buzarnescu, A.Bogdan, Dinu

Did I forget anyone? Maybe Andrei or Szatmari? :unsure:

#16 ·

BCR Bank stopped sponsoring the men's event (starting this year BRD Bank will be the new sponsor), and will focus only on women tennis. This mean we might see a Premier tournament next year (or in the near future) in Romania...

The 100k+H tournament will be played at Herastrau Park Tennis Acadamy were a 2k temporary arena will be erected, but the WTA event could be played at BNR Arena. Halep, Begu, Olaru and E. Bogdan already announced their participation. website -> http://www.bcropen.ro/ro/

#17 ·
#23 ·

Hi,

I want to go see the matches of this tournament, it will be very interesting with lots of Romanian players participating here. I see on the official website that Halep, Begu, Cirstea, Gojnea, Cadantu and Ungur are already in the MD and Olaru, E. Bogdan, Enache, Dabija, Laura Andrei in the Qualies.

I noticed on the official website that the organizers will also give 4 MDWCs and 6 Qualy WCs, all to Romanians (as they state). Do you have any idea when the WCs will be announced and what players should get them ??? :)

#24 ·

I don't know and as far as I'm concerned the organizers haven't announced them yet, but I'm 1000% sure that Olaru will receive a main draw wildcard, though it would be better for her to play qualis... :eek:

If they only award wildcards to Romanian players, it would make sense to give them to the 3 following highest ranked Romanian players Bogdan, Enache and Dabija, but we will see... :shrug:

I'm already excited about the event! :)

#25 ·

Olaru will certainely receive a MDWC... and I agree with you, it would be normal that the rest 3 WCs to be awarded to the highest ranked players who couldn't make it to the WC.

What about the Qualies WCs? Is there any chance that some talented Romanian young players to get the 6 spots? If not, who would get them ???

#27 ·

Olaru will probably get in MD without a WC :shrug:

#28 ·

Olaru will probably get in MD without a WC :shrug:
Yeah, she is and can serve as a walking bye :rolleyes:

The full entry list:

1 HALEP, Simona ROU 58 1
2 BEGU, Irina-Camelia ROU 78 1
3 CIRSTEA, Sorana ROU 86 1
4 POUS-TIO, Laura ESP 90 1
5 MARTIC, Petra CRO 98 1
6 SUAREZ NAVARRO, Carla ESP 119 1
7 CAMERIN, Maria-Elena ITA 120 1
8 VORACOVA, Renata CZE 128 1
9 SOLER-ESPINOSA, Silvia ESP 140 1
10 DENTONI, Corinna ITA 145 1
11 VOEGELE, Stefanie SUI 152 1
12 KRAJICEK, Michaella NED 155 2
13 FLORIS, Anna ITA 157 2
14 SEMA, Erika JPN 158 1
15 GOJNEA, Madalina ROU 160 1
16 CADANTU, Alexandra ROU 167 1
17 THORPE, Laura FRA 172 1
18 BERTENS, Kiki NED 179 1
19 ZEC-PESKIRIC, Masa SLO 181 1
20 UNGUR, Liana-Gabriela ROU 183 1
21 OLARU, Iona-Raluca ROU 184 1
22 KOSTOVA, Elitsa BUL 186 1
Bogdan is first in qualifying and will probably get a WC.

#32 ·

It seems that Elena Bogdan really could enter the main draw directly, so tournament director Marius Comanescu has announced that the 4 main draw wildcards will go to
* Elora Dabija
* Cristina Dinu
* Diana Enache
* Andreea Mitu

The 6 qualifying wildcards will go to
* Camelia Cristea :spit:
* Raluca Platon
* Andreea Iova
* Larissa Sporea
* Simona Ionescu
* Alexandra Damaschin

So, no wildcards to our young junior generation... :sad:

The main draw wildcards as expected to the highest ranked Romanian players who can't eneter directly. I don't know why Buzarnescu didn't want to enter, though... :shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.