Tennis Forum banner

Madison Keys...future star

252K views 4K replies 139 participants last post by  Dan 
#1 ·
From what I heard, she has A LOT of talent. She trains and Evert. She is also quite large and a big hitter for her age. Just won the eddie herr 12 & U..playing the Orange Bowl 12's this week

Good Luck Madison!

#31 ·
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/newsroom/stories/?ContentID=3135

April 6, 2009

Keys Joins Record Books

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, FL, USA - American Madison Keys added her name to the history books Monday, becoming the seventh-youngest player ever to win a Sony Ericsson WTA Tour singles main draw match.
Keys, who played her first professional event on the ITF Women's Circuit recently in Fort Walton Beach but fell first round, was a wildcard into The MPS Group Championships this week and made excellent use of that, beating world No.81 Alla Kudryavtseva of Russia, 75 64. She rallied from 5-2 down to win the first set and hit four aces in the second set - including one on match point.
"The last couple of days were just practice and getting ready for my first round, and after today I have to go back out and do the same thing for my next match," Keys said. "I don't really look past my next match. I just take it day by day."
Keys, originally from Chicago, now lives in Boca Raton and trains at the Evert Academy, coached by John Evert. Among her junior accomplishments are Under 12 titles at Eddie Herr and the Orange Bowl in 2007, and she lists clay as her favorite surface. At the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami two years ago, Portugal's Michelle Larcher de Brito became the seventh-youngest player to win a singles main draw match on the Tour; Keys beat her by just four days.

The following is a list of the 10 youngest players ever to win a main draw match in singles on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour:
1. Fernandez, Mary Joe (13 years & 6 months - 1985 Miami)
2. Capriati, Jennifer (13 years & 11 months - 1990 Boca Raton)
3. Graf, Steffi (13 years, 11 months & 10 days - 1983 Roland Garros)
4. Hingis, Martina (14 years & 1 week - 1994 Zürich)
5. Rinaldi, Kathy (14 years & 3 weeks - 1981 Amelia Island)
6. Austin, Tracy (14 years & 1 month - 1977 Portland)
7. Keys, Madison (14 years & 48 days - 2009 Ponte Vedra Beach)
8. Larcher de Brito, Michelle (14 years & 52 days - 2007 Miami)
9. Rehe, Stephanie (14 years & 2 months - 1984 Hershey)
10. Sabatini, Gabriela (14 years, 2 months & 2 weeks - 1984 Indianapolis)

#35 ·
Great news to come back to! A young American making a breakthrough? I sure hope so!!! :D

#37 ·
This is really great "good news story!" Very happy for her. :)

ps, But I still think she turned pro way too young...mostly for emotional/development reasons. If she did it to be able to accept a Nike contract, then just think how screwed she got for signing so early. Imagine what the deal would have been if she had won this match before she signed.

#38 ·
Good point. I think junior stars have to be very careful. A good junior career at a young age, hype in the media, and sponsors don't insure a good pro career. Sometimes it can actually hinder them. Prime example there would be Donald Young... :eek:

#45 ·
Growth spurt=good. Tendinitis=Bad. Hopefully she takes a break, relaxes, and lets things heal.
hammerhead, your post made me sad. Poor Jamea. :sad: It's such a shame when promising players get their career yanked right out from under them

#46 ·
I am so sad to inform that Madison is going to miss Wimbledon.

From Tennis.com:

Madison Keys, 14, will not play the Wimbledon juniors because of hip problems, reports the Iowa/Illinois Quad-City Times. Keys, who missed the French Open juniors for the same reason, expects to be fit for World Team Tennis in July.

#47 ·
:sad:
Get well soon, Madison:hug:

#49 ·
Thank you for the information. That's a shame. I heard the hip problems were due to growth spurts.

#52 ·
Thanks for posting! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.