Tennis Forum banner

2012 London Olympics

18K views 267 replies 19 participants last post by  bruce goose 
#1 ·
Here's a thread to discuss this year's Olympics. Stuff about Caro should still be in the appropriate thread for her though.

#222 ·
Sigh. Fed fails to convert 6 break points as Murray holds for 3-0 2nd set. :(

Fed is 0/8 on break points today and 2/21 over the last 2 matches. :rolleyes:

#224 ·
Fed broken for 0-4 2nd set after being up 40-15. :rolleyes:

#225 · (Edited)
Sigh. Murray holds for 6-1 2nd set at Ad Murray from 15-30 to 30-30 to 30-40 to 40-40. :( The match is 1 hour 23 minutes long.

Fed 5 winners 10 unforced errors in the 2nd set vs 19 winners 8 unforced errors from Fed in the 2nd set of their Wimbledon match. The compareable #s for Muray are 9 winners 9 unforced errors vs 14 winners 4 unforced errors.

#228 · (Edited)
He should really be thanking Del Potro in his victory speech.

Hopefully he and Robson get demolished in mixed. :p

#227 · (Edited)
Awful. Completely freaking awful. :( Murray holds for 6-4 3rd set at 40-15. :(

Fed 9 winners (5 of those are aces) 10 unforced errors in the 3rd set vs 7 winners 2 unforced errors for Murray.

Fed won only 1 points on Murray's serve in the 3rd set (10/10 1st serve pts won, 10/11 2nd serve pts) won. :rolleyes:

Fed 24 winners (9 aces) 31 unforced errors today vs 62 winners (12 aces) 38 unforced errors at Wimbledon
Murray 27 winners (5 aces) 17 unforced errors today vs 46 winners (16 aces) 25 unforced errors at Wimbledon

#229 ·
At least the slams are every year and there's 4 of them. The summer Olympics (winter as well) are every 4 years, so if you don't succeed (whatever would as success for a given athlete/player/team) you have 4 long years to wait before a chance at possible redemption.

#241 · (Edited)
Well it wasn't to be 2 golds. I thought the first set was too good to be true. Just the odd point here and there lost the match. Mind you - I was furious with him when on Laura's serve in the 2nd set at 30-30 - he had an easy put away at the net and hit it out. He really needed to help Laura win her seerve. Mirnyi was really intimidating at the net when Vika was serving. And then late in the tie break with a 2nd serve from Vika he needed to get hold of - he made a complete mess of it. Wre really needed that point.

But after it all - WD Andy and Laura. Great effort and they got the silver. Oh and one thing they were saying about Laura is how she kept close to the net and never backed off.

#251 ·
I think Olympic tennis has been a huge success. Every player that won a medal went nuts. Nobody is going to tell me that this is barely as important as a masters 1000 or premier event after we saw how much it meant to the players. Tennis belongs at the Olympics as far as I'm concerned. I loved it, it was loads of fun.

#248 ·
Bruce - I can't believe you are getting upset about Protoss posting a few scores in an Olympic event in a thread on the Olympics. I thought this was where we could speak to fellow Caro fans on Olympics. I certainly wouldn't want to be told that I couldn't make my posts on the tennis in the Olympics here and had to post them on Men's Tennis Forum.

Persionally - I quite liked Protoss posts on the scores actually. But on a deadly serious matter - I am having a think about whether to report Protoss to the mods wanting Murray and Robson to get demolished and I may have to also send the sternest bad rep ever. Unforgivable that and in my black book of naughty posters.:lol:

#250 ·
Well,it's true that DIAH was being a textbook hypocrite for rationalizing ad nauseum men's tennis posts after whining about my occasional Ana posts,but the truth is that I'm a lot more pissed off at my car being stolen.

This might be my last month posting here because I could very well catch a murder charge for killing at least one,but probably ALL of my neighbors in one particular house.They didn't actually steal the car yet they served as lookouts for everything.I'm going to kill one of them slowly...pretending to let him live if he tells me the name and location of his thief buddies....and then I'm gonna off his ass,too,of course:lol:....sometimes you've got to MAKE your own justice:armed: when the law won't help you at all.My hope is that only 1 or 2 thieves took part in the actual car theft cuz that means less people to kill;you always increase your odds of getting caught the more frequently you break the law.....I'm sure that many of the cheated athletes wish they could take similar measures to get the medals that their efforts deserved:lol:

#252 · (Edited)
This is one for the conspiracists ... In Handball (M) the match Denmark - Korea just started. Denmark would like to finish 2nd in the group, behind likely winners Croatia. However, a loss against Korea would actually benefit this goal :lol: ..

If Denmark loses and ends with 6 points, Croatia is forced to play their best in their last group game (to be played later tonight) against Spain. Else Spain will win the group. With a win for Croatia, Denmark is guaranteed 2nd place in the group, win or lose against Korea.

If Denmark wins against Korea, Denmark will finish with 8 points. If Spain wins against Croatia later, all 3 top teams will have 8 points, but due to superior goal diff, Croatia can lose by up to 5 goals and still win the group ..

Edit : Korea leading 14-13 at half time. Korea has lost all 4 previous group matches.

2nd Edit : Danish players took it a tad more serious in 2nd half (after a verbal bollocking from the Danish coach) .. Denmark won 26-24 .. but these formats where it's sometimes advantageous to lose .. not good. Not good at all.

#253 ·
Was just browsing GM and with the results from Montreal, it was claimed WTA is the most unpredictable sport in the world ....

Guess they don't follow Handball (W) in the Olympic tournament. France (run away group winners, RUP at last two World Championships) just lost their QF to Montenegro :eek:

#258 ·
<rant> If Tunisian men want to wrestle other men, they should sign up for the wrestling tournament or oil up and go to Turkey to part take in that creepy oil wrestling, they do over there. Why the whole team wasn't red carded is beyond me ... (yes, I know. I am the only person in the whole world, who watches handball). Now crawl back to the sand hole, you came from </rant>

#259 ·
Nicola Sprig (Switzerland) edged Lisa Nordén (Sweden) to win the women's triathlon. But the Swedish Olympic Comitee has filed a complaint that the gold medal should be shared because the difference between the two athletes was less than one hundredth of a second. It's not an unheard of complaint. In the 70s they stopped using thousandths of a second in swimming and if the competitors clocked the same time measured in hundredths of a second, they'd share the medal.

#260 ·
Did anyone see this : In women's hammer throw, apparently there was a measuring malfunction, so one thrower thought she'd won (or won a medal?) and went on the obligatory celebration lap, only to be later informed, the organizers made an error and she didn't win (medal)?

#261 ·
#263 ·
So has anybody else watched any taekwondo?

I've watched some of it and thought it was kind of cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.