TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Anna Kournikova cheering team..

View Single Post

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #708
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anna Kournikova cheering team..

Kournikova Serves Up New Dish: Breakfast

Phioto By Art Seitz By Tennis Week
01/12/2007

Breakfast will come complete with a taste of tennis next week courtesy of Anna Kournikova. The Miami resident is headed back to school in South Florida to serve a breakfast award and speak to students about the importance of physical fitness and nutrition.

Kournikova will visit the North Palm Beach Elementary School on Tuesday to promote the "got breakfast" campaign promoting the Federal School Breakfast program. During a school-wide assembly, Kournikova will speak to students about nutrition and fitness and present principal Bill Thompson with a special recognition award for his efforts in utilizing the Classroom Breakfast model to serve meals at his school.
"It’s a great project for me to be involved with and a great cause," Kournikova told Tennis Week today. "I believe that the first step to improving well-being is with good nutrition and when millions of students across the country are not taking part in breakfast they are missing out on the opportunity to perform their best at school. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day; it gives you the fuel to think and be more alert, awake and alive."
The "got breakfast?" Foundation works to help the millions of students who qualify for a free or reduced-price breakfast to access the meals they are not receiving. Out of 55 million children who attend public school in the United States, 30 million participate in the National School Lunch Program, but only an estimated 9.6 million eat breakfast in school. The foundation includes a coalition of public officials, community leaders, private organizations and personalities committed to anti-hunger efforts.
Studies show that Classroom Breakfast dramatically increases test scores and improves the health of children. When breakfast is served in the classroom and offered to all students, regardless of income, breakfast participation numbers have doubled and in some cases tripled.
The two-time Australian Open doubles champion took a moment to dish out her views on tennis and her future plans in a brief interview today.
Tennis Week: Do you watch women’s tennis? Who do you like watching these days?
Anna Kournikova: To be honest, I really haven’t watched so many matches because they don’t show them that much on TV and I haven’t really traveled to any tournaments so I have not seen any tennis matches recently. I think the last tournament I saw was the U.S. Open, so it’s really hard to say. I understand you really have to try to find tennis and it’s not just like out there and you can come across it.
Tennis Week: You partnered with Martina Hingis to win the 1999 and 2002 Australian Open doubles titles. What are your memories of playing doubles with Hingis and what do you think of her comeback?
Anna Kournikova: I think it’s great. It’s really exciting and great for tennis to have Martina back and a lot of young players and learn so much just by watching her. She’s such an interesting player to watch; tennis is lucky to have her back. Martina’s a true champion and a legend and an artist on court so tennis is lucky to have her back because she’s great for the game.
Tennis Week: Do you still stay in touch with any players on the Tour now?
Anna Kournikova: I am in touch with a few girls and we talk a few times a month and stay in touch.
Tennis Week: I saw you play World TeamTennis last summer, I know you play exhibitions and charity events. What are your plans for playing tennis — either WTT, or exhibitions or maybe even the select tour doubles event — in the future. Do you want to play? Do you think you will play?
Anna Kournikova: I hope to play World TeamTennis again and I think I am most probably going to. But I’m not sure about playing [other events]. It’s really very hard to say and maybe one day I will. I really don’t know. It’s really not something that I see happening in the next month. It’s very hard to say because how I feel is that I am always a risk taker and one minute I may want to do something or try something new. I really don’t know. I like not planning things and being spontaneous.
Tennis Week: What is your primary professional focus now?
Anna Kournikova: Working with the Boys and Girls Clubs is the main place where I put my energy and I still do some of the modeling and work with kids and charities. I love playing tennis charity events because it’s a way to stay active in the game and gives me a great feeling to give back to people and give my time for great causes. So I always do the World TeamTennis Smash Hits with Billie Jean King and Elton John and friends and I love doing the Arthur Ashe Kids Day before the U.S. Open so when I’m asked to do those tennis exhibitions for charity I enjoy doing them.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote