TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Bettina Bunge

Thread: Bettina Bunge
View Single Post

Old Aug 31st, 2006, 08:05 AM   #34
country flag Jakarta

Jakarta is a name known to all Jakarta is a name known to all Jakarta is a name known to all Jakarta is a name known to all Jakarta is a name known to all Jakarta is a name known to all Jakarta is a name known to all Jakarta is a name known to all Jakarta is a name known to all Jakarta is a name known to all Jakarta is a name known to all
People have talked about the "alcoholism" rumor on a previous thread here. Apparently, Bettina referred to realizing she "was having a few too many beers" and that the partying was affecting her play in a 1987 or 1988 Tennis article.

But I don't think that was the major factor in her not fulfilling her potential. There were the injuries (ear, leg later on) but in my opinion it was more about her not being comfortable in the spotlight, and all the media and fan attention she got compared to other players. It was tame compared to the obsessive focus on Maria and Anna K today, but Bettina didn't lap up the attention like Carling Bassett.

I read a World Tennis article from 1982's Wimbledon where the writer talked about Bettina playing with a frown on her face, like someone who did not like the spectators' applauding interrupting her flow of play. Her talent got her very near to the top, but then she didn't really want to deal with the rest of the circus that comes along with being a top player, and an attractive one to boot.

And there is a 1983 World Tennis article, Bedazzled by Bettina, where she talks about her career and such.

Last I heard she was still living in Florida, playing golf but I don't know doing what else. She would be about 44 today.
Jakarta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote