TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Top players 1984-91

View Single Post

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 11:29 AM   #4
Monaco

Monaco is an unknown quantity at this point
Soviets could not compete on the international circuit for a number of years (1977-82) because their government did not want them to face South African players. The Soviet government were afraid that black African nations would boycott the 1980 Moscow Olympic Games. As it turned out many nations did boycott the Moscow Games because of the Afghanistan situation...

Morozova and Chmyreva were in the Top 10-15 (I need to check) when they were asked to return back to Moscow from the Virginia Slims winter circuit in the States. They played in their last international event in March 1977 (I think it was Chicago where Chmyreva reached the SF, she was not even 19...)<br />It is quite amazing that without playing the tour events Chmyreva / Morozova managed to reach the Fed Cup semifinals for USSR in both 1978 (in Melbourne) and 1979 (in Madrid)- South Africa was banned from Davis Cup and Fed Cup from 1977-91 because of the apartheid.

Morozova retired in 1980 and became the national tennis coach for the USSR women's team. She lobbied for a return of Soviet players to the international circuit and was helped with wild cards by the WTA, ITF and Wimbledon. Cherneva-Savchenko reached the Wimbledon doubles QF in their debut year in 1983...
Monaco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote