TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Digesting the big, dreaded double bagel

View Single Post

Old Mar 12th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #27
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommystar
That means Steffi won at least 24 games in a row!

(Don't know about her French semi vs. Gaby 6-3 7-6, and her R64 match at Wimbledon Karine Quentrec 6-2 6-0, but tie-break can count as a game so at least 25 games in a row! Anyone know the conclusion of those 2 matches, that must be a record for the most games winning in the Open-era.)
Dunno if Graf won the twelfth game in the second set of the Sabatini match or the first game of the Quentrec match, so I have no idea how many consecutive games Graf did win. I do remember reading somewhere (many years ago) that Navratilova once won five consecutive 6-0 sets, so she might hold the record. I'm not too sure if I'm remembering correctly, though, so maybe someone who has Navratilova's numbers might be able to correct me if I'm wrong.
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote