TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Maria Bueno: The Sao Paolo Swallow

View Single Post

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:39 PM   #45
country flag Brazilian Friend

Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice Brazilian Friend is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
All your Bueno digging is much appreciated Santorofan. The one pic with confetti raining down on her is cool.

Chris-I suspect Maria played those German events for a simple reason: they paid her a LOT of money. Since Bueno was a big draw she often could (and apparently did if others are right) demand big bucks. Billie Jean said it was rumoured Maria got 1,000 dollars to enter some events in the 1960s. Contrast this to Julie Heldman, who was getting $150 a week when she was #5 in the world in 1969.
Rollo - Estherzinha said there was a year she reached German Final, but in semifinal she got a lot of cramps and leg injurys. The doctor said if she plays the tendon get worst. The tournament organizer told her "I need you". She decided to play the final and felt all the pains of injury. In the end of the match, he gave her a big children bear (you know, a kind of Pooh). She had to carry the big bear on her back journey.
Brazilian Friend is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote