TennisForum.com - View Single Post - PYW - US Open | Final | Please vote!

View Single Post

Old Sep 9th, 2005, 04:40 PM   #1
country flag Geoffry

Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute
PYW - US Open | Final | Please vote!

PYW - US Open

It's that time of the year again. The final Grand Slam is presenting itself; many main draw players are more than eager to display their skills in the coming week.

Quote:
Ranking Points:

W - 650
F - 456
SF - 292
QF - 162
R16 - 90
R32 - 56
R64 - 32
R128 - 5
Qualifier - 10 *
Q3 - 5
Q2 - 2
Q1 - 1

* If a qualifier loses in the first round of the main draw, she receives no first round points as usual

Note:

This is a special week in the history of PYW. The US Open will be the first event where players have to defend points they earned at last year's event at Flushing Meadows.

It is also very special, because players will, for the first time, earn bonus points for beating their opponents. The amount of points will depend on the opponent's ranking.

vs

Kim Clijsters [4]vs Mary Pierce FRA [12]

After completing a week and a half of superb and exciting tennis we have now reached the last Grand Slam final of this year. Let's look more closely at the two protagonists of the show the US Open is.

Kim Clijsters BEL [4]

Clijsters' Road to the Final
R1 :::
Silvija Talaja CRO [Q] | 6-1 6-0
R2 ::: Ashley Harkleroad USA [WC] | 6-4 6-2
R3 ::: Ai Sugiyama JPN [30] | 6-1 6-4
R4 ::: Ana Ivanovic SCG [16] | 6-3 6-3
QF ::: Daniela Hantuchova SVK [20] | 7-6 6-3
SF ::: Alicia Molik AUS [14] | 6-3 3-6 6-2

Betting on Kim Clijsters to win a PYW tournament is the safest bet one can make these days. The Belgian baseliner has crushed all competition that came in her way these past two weeks. Even a suprising set loss to Alicia Molik didn't put her off guard, she just regrouped and continued her winning ways. When you look at Kim's opponents, quality is a word that comes into mind. Sugiyama and Hantuchova are both solid top 10 players and Ivanovic and Molik are also players that are not to be underestimated. But Kim just came, saw and won... like always.

The question now is: will Kim Clijsters be the first woman ever to win 2 Grand Slams? After her Roland Garros win, she was ousted in the quarters of Wimbledon, but then went on a tear in the States. Will the Queen of PYW seize her second major crown?

Mary Pierce FRA [12]

Pierce's Road to the Final
R1 :::
Mara Santangelo ITA | 6-2 6-2
R2 ::: Marta Marrero SPA [Q] | 6-1 6-3
R3 ::: Jelena Jankovic SCG [17] | 6-2 6-7 6-4
R4 ::: Gisela Dulko ARG [27] | 6-4 6-4
QF ::: Anastasia Myskina RUS [13] | 7-5 3-6 6-3
SF ::: Anna Chakvetadze RUS [29] | 3-6 7-5 6-3

Back to where everything started: the final of the US Open. Mary suprised everybody last year by achieving this feat, but now it would have been a shock has she lost in one of the previous rounds. Although, Mary's last two matches have been real nail-biters. In the quarters, she barely closed out against world #3 Myskina in the final set and a round later, she had to rescue five (!) matchpoints against Anna Chakvetadze.

Mademoiselle Mary is on a 12 match winning streak in the meanwhile. A poor San Diego was followed by a flashing Toronto where she took the title by storm, wich made her one of the top favourites in New York. Whereas in the first ten months Mary choked in every final, she has gotten the monkey of her back in Toronto. A second title just around the corner?

Vote now for who you want to win the US Open singles title!

Final:

Kim Clijsters BEL [4]vs Mary Pierce FRA [12]
But I'm glad we broke the rules
My cave is deep now
Yet your light is shining through
I cover my eyes
Still all I see is you
Geoffry is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote