TennisForum.com - View Single Post - PYW Cincinatti | First Round | Please vote!

View Single Post

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 10:05 PM   #1
country flag Geoffry

Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute Geoffry has a reputation beyond repute
PYW Cincinatti | First Round | Please vote!

PYW Cincinatti

It's that time of the year again: when America has the pleasure to invite PYW players to come and play on the hallowed hardcourts that the USA have to offer them. The city of Cincinatti has the honour to open...

Before we talk about who's who and other stuff, lets have a look at the rankings of the participating women:

1. Daniela Hantuchova SVK
6. Vera Zvonareva RUS

12. Ai Sugiyama JAP
21. Patty Schnyder SUI
23. Jelena Jankovic SCG
30. Meghann Shaughnessy USA
32. Alina Jidkova RUS
34. Iveta Benesova CZE
41. Anna-Lena Groenefeld GER
44. Marion Bartoli FRA
53. Akiko Morigami JAP
55. Lindsay Lee-Waters USA
64. Tatiana Panova RUS
65. Anne Kremer LUX
70. Shahar Peer ISR
70. Chanda Rubin USA
72. Kveta Peschke CZE
79. Sania Mirza IND
89. Kirstina Brandi PUR
89. Yuliana Fedak UKR
98. Camille Pin FRA

107. Séverine Beltrame FRA
108. Angela Haynes USA
117. Liliah Osterloh USA
128. Aiko Nakamura JAP
141. Jessica Kirkland USA
156. Yoon Jeong Cho KOR
158. Abigail Spears USA
164. Ashley Harkleroad USA
174. Laura Granville USA

205. Melanie Gloria CAN

NR. Caroline Wozniacki DEN

It looks like the directory board of Cincinatti has done a wonderfull job in lobbying players for their tournament. With 21 of 32 players being top 100, Cincinatti has proven itself a tournament worthy of a tier III status. Logically that the top seeds look very attractive in this hardcourt event.

THE 4 TOP SEEDS
[1]Daniela Hantuchova

She's number 1, has 5 titles, won the US Open and is the only number 1 in PYW history. What's to tell more? The Slovak beauty is without a doubt the most succesfull player ever to have played in PYW. While being chased by Elena Dementieva during a big part o the year, Daniela has established a comfortable lead of more than 200 points on the Russian. Her participation hear ensures a week longer on #1 and definitely a big crowd!

[2]Vera Zvonareva
The other top tenner in Cincinatti. Vera Zvonareva mainly thanks her good ranking to her good play in the fall of 2004. Sadly however, she never refound that superb form when 2005 came along. She reached two semi finals in Pattaya and Charleston, but for a top 10 player that's rather strugling. As depressing as this may sound for Vera and her fans, there's still hope. At Wimbledon she reached the 4th round, something that'll definitely give her confidence a big boost. A 2-0 H2H record against first round opponent Shaughnessy might also to the trick.

[3]Ai Sugiyama

2nd best Japanese player, behind Asagoe, is here to win her first PYW title. Sugiyama is one of those players that plays all the time and when you play a lot, you have more chance to go further at a tournament, but Sugiyama sure picked her tournaments to go far: she reached the final in Miami and continued her winning ways in Amelia Island where she was halted by Mary Pierce in the semis. Another semi final in Rome (Tier I) and Eastbourne (on grass) make her one of the best titleless and allround players. Maybe this will be THE chance to win her first title?

[4]Patty Schnyder

Patty Schnyder carries the hope of her nation, being the highest ranked Swiss player. Pressure however, is something unknown for the 21st player in the world. She plays carefree, but her inconstinency is the factor why the Swiss isn't one of PYW top players. With a 24-17 W/L record, you'd expect she often loses in the 2nd round. WRONG! When Patty reaches the final, semi final or quarterfinal, the next 3 weeks she loses in the first. Now you might wonder "What was her last tournament performance?" I'll tell you: semi final at Wimbledon! Does this mean that Danish wildcard Caroline Wozniacki will serve us an upset?

Stay tuned for some hot action on the hardcourts at Cincinatti and while you do that... you could vote? Think about

(I have changed the seedings to the PYW rankings of the players. Just an expirement. Be free to tell what you think about it.)

First Round
[4]Patty Schnyder SUI vs [WC]Caroline Wozniacki DEN
Aiko Nakamura JAP vs Abigail Spears USA
Yuliana Fedak UKR vs Shahar Peer ISR
Lindsay Lee-Waters USA vs [3]Ai Sugiyama JAP

[5]Jelena Jankovic SCG vs [Q]Angela Haynes USA
[Q]Melanie Gloria CAN
vs [8]Iveta Benesova CZE
Anne Kremer LUX vs Camille Pin FRA
[Q]Séverine Beltrame FRA vs [5]Marion Bartoli FRA

Kveta Peschke CZE vs Tatiana Panova RUS
[7]Alina Jidkova RUS vs Yoon Jeong Cho KOR