TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Little Mo if she were around today......

View Single Post

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 10:08 PM   #11
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
I think her instructional book sums up her style and attittude-Power Tennis (1954) made it clear why she was named for a battleship!

Excerpts from the book.
http://tennis.quickfound.net/trainin...lly_index.html

And some other quotes:

"On clay, Chris [Evert] and Maureen Connolly are close. Maureen hardly ever lost a match, winning Wimbledon at 16, 17, and 18... She and Chris are very similar-- great, great baseliners. If anything, Maureen might have been a little swifter and quicker around the court than Chris. Maureen would have beaten Martina [Navratilova] on clay. Its questionable whether Maureen would have beaten her on a hardcourt. On grass I like Martina."
Bobby Riggs, quoted in Tennis Confidential by Paul Fein

"Whenever a great player comes along you have to ask, 'Could she have beaten Maureen?' In every case the answer is, I think not."
London Daily Telegraph tennis correspondent Lance Tingay
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote