TennisForum.com - View Single Post - News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

View Single Post

Old Aug 6th, 2014, 02:47 PM   #831
country flag joshum

joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all joshum is a name known to all
Re: News and updates about Victoria Azarenka

from tennis.com

The Full Vika

In her comeback matches at Wimbledon and Stanford, we had seen bits and pieces of the old Victoria Azarenka. The edge was there, but the strokes weren’t quite in place. Finally, on a Tuesday evening when the lights went out in Montreal, we got the full Vika.

There were the shorts, which I think suit her. There was the slow, frustrated start—Azarenka went down 0-3—as she worked her early nerves out. There was the moment, once those nerves were gone, when everything clicked and she went on a run of unbeatable tennis. There was, just when everything seemed to be working, the twisted leg and fall to the asphalt. There was the immediate pained reaction, the unhappy limp around the court, and the eventual, delayed treatment. And then there was the fight again, which got her across the finish line against Alizé Cornet, 6-4 in the third. After going out to Venus Williams in her Stanford opener, Vika was hellbent on not losing another early one.

A left leg injury kept Azarenka on the sidelines for court months; last night she hurt her right leg. I’ve wondered in the past whether she isn’t a victim of her own zealous footwork at times—as she moves across the baseline, Vika doesn’t so much take little steps, as she does little hops. Whatever the reason for it, let’s hope this isn’t the start of another physical problem for her. Whether fans love Azarenka or not, I hadn’t realized until she came back this summer how much the game missed her quality and her fight.
joshum is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote