TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Bartoli 50/50 for quarterfinals

View Single Post

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #1
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute
Bartoli 50/50 for quarterfinals

Bartoli 50/50 for quarterfinals
</IMG>Related Articles
Erakovic knocked out of Classic
Peer causing stir among peers

Jan 6, 2005
By Alan Granville
ASB Classic fifth seed Marion Bartoli admits she is only a 50/50 chance at being able to take her place in the quarterfinals in Auckland.

The Frenchwoman injured her right shoulder during her second round victory over American Jill Craybas.

The pain reduced her to tears during a rain break, but she still prevailed 2-6 6-0 6-1 against her more experienced opponent.

Bartoli said after the match that she was not prepared to take any risks before the Australian Open and would test her shoulder during the warm-up of her match against second seed Jelena Jankovic before deciding whether to play.

"I am going to have some massage and take some tablets and we shall see how it goes. It has happened to me before and usually it goes as quickly as it comes," said Bartoli.

The world number 41, who reached the last four in Auckland last year, admitted some of the tears she shed were due to her losing the first set against Craybas.

"I think I was panicking a bit because I have beaten her once before and she had won the first set 6-2 and I thought 'what am I going to do?'.

"My game was not on and I just decided I needed to focus and I think the panicking helped me to focus more and more because I was not 100 per cent."

Bartoli said she felt the shoulder go in the warm-up.

"When I tried to serve early on it was very painful and it was getting worse and worse and I called the trainer at 2-0 up in the second set. I just tried to keep it up and forget about the pain."

She believes she battled through the game thanks to the fact it was the first tournament of the year and she felt mentally fresh.

Next up for Bartoli is a match with Jankovic, who won easily 6-1 6-0 against Spain's Nuria Llagostera Vives.

"I think the match will be very tough. We always have hard fights. We are the same age. She had a good year last year and she is confident at the moment."
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote