TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Chris Evert Thread

View Single Post

Old Nov 24th, 2004, 05:31 PM   #214
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
Daze,

I just want to say that I've had a(nother) Chrissie fan stay with me for the past week and during that time we've watched several matches featuring La Evert, one of which was that semi between Chris and Tracy at the US. I remember saying that the first time I watched it I found it a bit tedious but just wanted you to know that I've now changed my view totally. It really is an excellent exposé of Chrissie's craft. Even in those first few games, she's missing only by millimetres and playing herself in surely and steadily no matter what is happening to the score. It really is remarkable to see how many more options she had at her disposal (or chose to use) than Tracy did and how completely she dictated the play. By the end, she's like a cat playing with a dead mouse.

I know some feel that Tracy could have been a challenger to C & M during the early-mid 80s but for her injuries (which are not surprising that she got it when you compare the jerkiness of her motion with that of Chris which was so smooth) but her game was so two-dimensional in comparison to Chrissie's at that point. The department where she may have had an edge was power but my God was that serve bad or what?

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote