TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

View Single Post

Old May 7th, 2014, 06:34 PM   #4009
country flag Curcubeu

Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverdescants View Post
Has anyone mentioned the perspective that, while Halep took the match by winning 70 points to the Spaniard's 57, Halep actually won the first 10 points of the match? So really, the initial shock of being-there overcome, the Spaniard played her even. Halep did not look comfortable returning the Spaniard's moonballs. Didn't seem to have her rhythm after the third game. So many times Halep tried to end points early, she missed: the winners/ue ratio is not quite accurate, because it wouldn't take into account the number of weak Spanish serves Halep tripped taking out to the trash.

What should we take from this match? Halep, much fitter than her opponent, was tentative on that forehand slide, because of the right ankle. So her movement is impaired. She served with confidence, but in the ground game she danced close with this particular hitting partner who, suffice to say, is no Maria Kirilenko. I think Halep had a lovely practice session, played within herself, and is tough to beat under even such impaired condition.
You take the words out of my mouth. I was actually really worried to see how hopeless Simona was against those loopy topspin shots her opponent would always throw in once she needed to reset the rally or push her back right at the start.

Those moonballs are tricky, but she had no idea how to deal with them. I also don't know why Arrua... stopped hitting those in the middle of the first set. It won her the point whenever she did, but then again I had the impression throughout that she was really playing on the edge of her current ability.

I also agree that this match was a great example that w/ue stats are only half the truth of a tennis match. Simona was messy out there, although the stats indicate that it was a pretty good meatch from her side which it really wasn't.

Onwards.
Curcubeu is offline View My Blog!