TennisForum.com - View Single Post - On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

View Single Post

Old Apr 21st, 2014, 09:19 PM   #5015
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
No, it's not. That's marketing. You go by what's selling and keeps people interested. Is that "the right thing to do"? No, probably not. On the other hand - who cares? If Kournikova types put asses on seats and make people tune in to the WTA while Kuznetsova types don't, you push Kournikova types, and in the end everyone will profit from the increased attention - including the Kuznetsova types. Besides, top 20 is great. If you're one of the 20 best in boxing you're the wbc, wbo, wba, ibf, fbi, cia, plo, ira or whatever else champion of the world in one of their countless weight divisions. If you're the 20th best sccer player in the world you're a superstar who plays for Real Madrid, Manchester United or Barcelona. If you're the 20th best swimmer you're an Olympic gold medalist in butterfly, crawl, backstroke or butterfly in the 100, 200, 400. 800 or 1500 meters. And I could say the same thing about most other sports. Top 20 doesn't sound like much, but since there is only the one event where you have to compete against everyone else it's on par with being a world champion in most other sports.

Has nothing to do with Bouchard persť but you might find this bit from an interview with former Wimbledon finalist Chris Lewis food for thought. He's basically saying in a much more eloquent way what I have always believed to be the truth myself concerning the skill level of tennis players as compared to other athletes.[/i]
Well, even though it looked ominous in length, I actually appreciated the thoughts you shared from Lewis. You'll be happy to read that I don't consider this to be a MORAL issue...merely something that I take up as a sports fan.

To ME, there has to be at least some symmetry between the EXTENT of the hype and the person who benefits from it. From the world of basketball, American LeBron James received a huge amount of hype before he'd even laced up his shoes in the NBA; you'd have thought that he had proven himself as a HOF'er. In his defense, though, LeBron was already able to more than hold his own against NBA veterans at the age of 17, so there was reasonable justification for predicting that he WOULD be great(as he has long since established). Likewise, the Williams sisters were already a major threat to WTA veterans when they first arrived on the scene.....

......No such claim can be made by Bouchard...not even CLOSE. We both understand the Eye Candy Element in marketing; I simply feel that the DEGREE of hype for Bouchard far outweighs what she deserves. It's not an empirical fact...only my opinion......And you'd probably feel the same way if I exhaustedly hyped Duran Duran or Milli Vanilli as the musical equals of your favorite classic artists....OVER and OVER and OVER again as the WTA page shoves "Steffi" Bouchard down our throats......Now if Duran Duran happens to be your all-time favorites, then I hope that your Belgian village gets overrun by Luxembourgian(IF that's even a word) guerrila forces

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Oakland Raiders 0-4 with Dennis Allen as coach, 0-5 with Tony Sparano: A model of consistency
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!