TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

View Single Post

Old Apr 9th, 2014, 01:48 AM   #3551
country flag oliverdescants

oliverdescants is a name known to all oliverdescants is a name known to all oliverdescants is a name known to all oliverdescants is a name known to all oliverdescants is a name known to all oliverdescants is a name known to all oliverdescants is a name known to all oliverdescants is a name known to all oliverdescants is a name known to all oliverdescants is a name known to all oliverdescants is a name known to all
Re: Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLA View Post
Codrut, if you are an american , then let me ask u this, because i understand a sub question there.

If u start stealing or begging or do other crimes , and tell the officers ( police ) that u are an Native American from United States ( which probably u are not , tell me if u are then i can give u another example ) , they ( the native - americans ) won`t be offended if you lie about that ?

To answer in a raw format of your question , they are not offended. They want this kind of "cloak" around them. U know , the definition of a gipsy in a simple sentence is a nomadic style of life. Well why somebody who steal , robb, cheats , kiddnap, live in houses that are about to collapse, or just houses made from scraps of metal and cardboard they find , tell the truth about who he is and what he does for living ?

They like a simple style of life , but this doesn`t mean your life will be simplier if u meet them )
Now this is one of the more extraordinary threads I've read here in a while. I'm an American. Knowledge of my own ancestry on at least one side of my family very shallow -- maybe four generations. I.e., I know the family genealogical line only back into the late 19th century. So I'm curious about this. The analogy seems to be: Just as gypsies lie about their ancestry in order to excuse, or contextualize, their "stealing/begging/other crimes," so, Native Americans would never do that. A dissemblance is being observed here. There's a problem with the analogy, even as a dis-resemblance. It makes the assumption that social irresponsibility is a characteristic of reservation life, or culture, here. That's an old canard. The bother with it is that the Sixties in the U.S. very much transvalued the terms of tribal heritage in the U.S. Young people embraced the political and cultural goals of AIM (the American Indian Movement). Now, if U.S. citizens, non-reservated, are marked by even a quartile of tribal ancestry, they proudly own it, advertise it. Our U.S. Senator from Massachusetts, Elizabeth Warren, got into trouble for doing that, despite the fact that no one, looking into her ancestry, could find the Native American blood she claimed in her ancestry. So the scenario your analogy presents is quite unlikely. If there's still social dissipation on reservations, and there is, I doubt anyone is using the syndrome of it to contextualize, apologize for, or otherwise excuse their crimes. Not to be pedantic, but that's worth correcting, from my point of view.
oliverdescants is offline View My Blog!