TennisForum.com - View Single Post - On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

View Single Post

Old Apr 5th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #5003
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
So, Bruce, a Caro vs Ivanovic SF! Any chance of you making the trip to Monterrey today to boo Ivanovic cheer for Caro?
I've gone pretty easy on Ana in the last 4 months or so, even congratulating her when she won. Upon reflection, I've seen that it's not Ana's fault that the WTA's 'Empower Women' theme is a big joke/fraud. It's gotten far worse under Allaster's watch, and a more honest theme would be, "Over-hype Wannabe Cover Girls." There can't be a sport that's even remotely close when it comes to a commissioner's office that uber-markets superficially-attractive athletes who really don't give a microscopic crap about either their on-field/court/whatever results OR the sport's health...as long as the money rolls in.

At least Ana won a Slam before she was so heavily force-fed on the sporting public. She's now been replaced, basically, by a younger flavor-of-the-month, Bouchard, who's only REACHED one final...at an age when Ana had already won several Premier titles on top of her RG crown. I'm sure that hasn't escaped Ana's attention. I actually feel sorry for her as she's 26 and still struggling mightily with her psychological demons, with no end in sight. Bashing Ana now is sort of cruel, like kicking a boxer on the canvas after he's already been knocked out.

So no, my friend, I won't be booing Ana--regardless of whether or not you cross out the suggestion. It's enough to cheer for Caro, our lovely Danish Sunshine, without booing her opponent. Besides, Monterrey is a fairly expensive town even when you don't buy tennis tickets. On top of that, the 12-hour eastward trip has a stretch of highway that's notorious for carjacking...so I wouldn't make that journey without some of my buddies who have some rifles that are good for blasting carjackers heads off(they pretty much always back off when you start shooting at THEM before they've gotten that close to your car). Fortunately, this is one of the few tourneys when Mexican sports channels actually show women's tennis

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Latinoamerica, where we have extended holiday vacations
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!