TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Indian Wells 2014 - Once - Twice - Three Times the Champion?

View Single Post

Old Mar 14th, 2014, 09:27 AM   #348
C. Drone
CFO

C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute C. Drone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Indian Wells 2014 - Once - Twice - Three Times the Champion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServeCaspian View Post
It's pretty much been said already, but I mainly agree with Norbert also, her whole attitude is just dire.
I mean there were times when she focused and looked somewhat like herself, but the biting of lips and looks of desperation toward her box, all while playing a Qualifier....

It's extremely alarming, the girl that was on court there was hardly recognisable. I was so furious, the reason I fell in love with Maria was her fighting spirit and if that is gone or gets any worse we can pretty much expect this until the end. 80% of everything she ever acheieved was from her mental strength and competitive spirit. I mean, when Giorgi was broke serving for the match that should have been the end of it but...

IDK, I don't think it's Sugarpova/Dimi et al. They have been there since always, however I do feel that they may be more of a distraction these days, in the sense that Maria is using them to escape from facing what is going on with regards her actual career instead of just merely expressing a passion.

It's so frustrating, given that when on this year I still maintain her ground game has looked the best it has post-op, but her head just isn't there. I said this on Twitter and tbh I wasn't even joking, amybe she just needs time off, some Himalayan monastary or some other remote location and just recover herself mentally. The years of fighting against the shoulder injuries and never being 100% have really taken their toll.

But she needs to adjust and do it soon otherwise...Let's just say I can't see Maria doing the whole 'top 20' thing for two years all over again. I don't think it's time for nuclear panic mode yet, there is still a nice extended break after Miami where several things can begin to click for the clay. But if she flops there then I really don't know...
just the bolded part. I would agree that when there are getaway things (like a boyfriend or hobby) that comforts a person when she has troubles, she is more easily procrastinates than to face the actual difficulties.
Blaming Sugarpova is so so silly. Nobody here remembers that a day after she won the French, she was already in spain visiting some candy-factory. She won 3 clay titles that year, when she was probably more heavily in the planning-introducing phase than right now. I mean, come on.
And her boy is just too easy to blame, I wouldnt even bother besides the mocking.

Also I kind of agree about the taking time off. Training/overtraining wouldnt solve anything. She posted loads of workout pictures even last summer when she was apparently injured. Does it mean anything at this point? (and I dont need pictures to know she is working out. Y'all cant be more silly to think she doesnt just because of loads of Sugarpova pics.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
Radwanksa/Jankovic was, by far, the highlight of this tournament. A mostly high quality, back and forth match that was actually enjoyable to watch.

Other than that, though, the majority of the relevant matches have been eye-bleedingly bad. Cibulkova had 16 winners/51 UFEs today. And Li wasn't much better. And I know it got windy in the Pennetta/Stephens match, but, man, it was a mess of choking and errors from both. Sloane had, I think, 65 UFEs.

Maria was bad, but she has a lot of company in this year's IW. Not a good product the WTA put out there this time.
defensive, or more rally-stable players are probably most succesful on this ungodly slow surface they have there. They can be patient until there is a high percentage finishing shot, unlike most of the ballbashers who cant hit through the court or the opponent, but still want to finish more quickly and for their UE rate only the sky is the limit. Plus add that pain in the ass wind.

(I know, Li is in the semis, cakewalk, whatevs.)