TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Wightman Cup

Thread: Wightman Cup
View Single Post

Old Aug 7th, 2004, 07:44 PM   #14
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoanHJ
Here are some of the Wightman Cup results from the 1930's. Right now I only have those that involved Alice Marble. As you can see the U.S. just dominated England. As a matter of fact I've read accounts in the "Times" of London were the British writers just bemoaned the fact that their British girls just couldn't beat the Yanks. I'm not sure of the exact number of years, but I think the U.S. went something like 7-8 years during this period without losing.

It was always pretty one sided. I think GB was level at 4-4 all after the first eight matches in the 1920s and then didn't win again until 1958 when a still relatively inexperienced Christine Truman had a sensational win over Althea Gibson when it was held on the No.1 court at Wimbledon just prior to the Championships. Typical of the British media they then put so much pressure on Christine that she couldn't play her game at the actual champs and lost tamely to Mimi Arnold in the last 16.

As far as I can count GB won 10 matches in total so the US won somewhere around 50.
chris whiteside is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote