TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Wightman Cup

Thread: Wightman Cup
View Single Post

Old Aug 7th, 2004, 01:38 PM   #10
country flag Declan

Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris whiteside
Happy days, Declan although I must say I am aghast at your support for Rinaldi against Jo!

The event was always well supported by the British LTA and public and until around the late 70s by the USLTA if not the American public although I believe the ties held in Cleveland were usually successful. It perhaps should have been stopped after 1980. Certainly when Virginia was past her peak and Sue had only bloomed for a handful of years it was all very one-sided and in a boxing match would have been stopped. The early 70s were disappointing in that at times the US started using Chris Evert plus a couple of lower ranked players.

How did you feel about the British victory in 1974? I have to admit I didn't really get a buzz from it. I know Julie Heldman was in the top 10 at that time but along with Janet Newberry and Jeanne Evert plus a couple of others I can't remember, it didn't really feel "true". The move to the Royal Albert Hall was inspired. It was a great venue even in the 80s when as a nation we had already moved on to the mentality of being happy that at least we had played well whenever we were beaten.

We also missed the 1975 victory more meritous because it was on American soil and the US team included Chrissie. That was the year when Ann Jones nearing 37 and I think having had her second child played Team Tennis for Cleveland and reached a level which the Brits thought put her in line for the 3rd singles. However the upcoming youngsters led by Sue Barker thought this was a retrogressive step and "rebelled". It all worked out very well in the end from our point of view when Sue was given the 3rd spot and beat Janet Newberry. Virginia renewed her old partnership with Ann in the doubles and they won their match. It was a pity for Ann that she didn't play against the Chris Evert doubles team because I don't believe she ever played Chris at all.

How on earth can you describe 1978? Chris Evert looked a shoe-in for 2 matches. Virginia had started her gradual decline from winning Wimbledon and Barker was just about treading water in the top 20. With Tracy Austin already in the top 10 and Pam Shriver having been USO finallist it looked like a 6-1 victory for the US if Virginia could beat Tracy. Virginia hung in there against Tracy and Sue played probably her best match of the year to beat her. But as you say the pivotal match was the Tyler-Shriver match up. It just shows how you can become inspired and play above yourself feeding from the crowd. Nerve-racking stuff. I think the BBC would have more sense than to stop televising the match live at such a crucial stage today.

I can't remember too much about Michelle and I may be wrong but didn't she made the world's top 30?

Are you absolutely sure about 1980? Again it's only from memory but I didn't think the match was that close.

I just missed the great British victories of 1958 and 1960. Around the late 50s and 60s the event became competitive on the whole except for 1961 and 1967. Although the scorelines in 1963 and 1965 look pretty conclusive for the US so many of the individual rubbers which nearly always ended in US victory could have gone either way. When you look at the US teams of this period which consisted mostly of Darlene Hard, BJK, Karen Hantze-Susman and Nancy Richey you can see how tough it would have been to win.

Surprisingly on a small no of rubbers played against weaker US teams in the 70s the most successful Brits are Joyce Williams and Glynis Coles! Joyce played 4 singles and 4 doubles matches winning 2 of each - 50%! Coles did even better winning 3 of 6 singles and 2 of 3 doubles.

Of the top players who played regularly Ann Jones has the best record with a 47% win rate in single (10 out of 21) and 50% in doubles (6 out of 12). With the best Brit not even reaching 50% it can be seen how dominant the US was.

I must gather my thoughts on the 60s matches.
Hi Chris - the others from the 1974 team were Mona Guerrant (I think she might still have been Schallau then) and a young Betsy Nagelsen. (I don't remember any of this from the time, however; it was just before I became interested in the game.)

Yes, Chris Evert opined in the early eighties that she couldn't imagine continuing in the Wightman Cup once Virginia wade and Sue Barker stepped down - and she didn't!!

I had to root for Kathy against Jo! To this day she remains my all-time favourite player, and for once personal preference had to triumph over my usual patriotism!!

Yes, Michele Tyler reached No.22 in the rankings in 1978 but barely a year later she retired, at just 21 years old. She couldn't stand the rigours of the tour, and felt she didn't have the necessary competitiveness needed to excel. A pity -she was such a good player, lovely to watch, and beat a string of top players in her brief career: Billie Jean King, Tracy Austin and Pam Shriver being the most notable scalps.

I remain convinced that Virginia and Sue would have beaten Jordan and Smith in the final 1980 rubber if Wade had snatched one of those match points against Evert, even though the Americans were the Wimbledon Champions!

Last edited by Declan : Aug 7th, 2004 at 01:44 PM.
Declan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote