TennisForum.com - View Single Post - ** Masha News and Articles! **

View Single Post

Old Aug 6th, 2004, 10:38 PM   #20
country flag Doc

Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future Doc has a brilliant future
Star attraction Sharapova ousted from Rogers Cup by Zvonareva

BILL BEACON
Canadian Press

Friday, August 06, 2004

MONTREAL (CP) - Star attraction Maria Sharapova was bounced from the $1.325 million US Rogers Cup tennis tournament Thursday night by a three-set loss to fellow Russian Vera Zvonareva.

The 10th-seeded Zvonareva advanced to Friday's quarter-finals with a 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 victory over the sixth-seeded Sharapova, the 17-year-old with the fashion model looks who has become the talk of tennis since her victory at Wimbledon earlier this summer. Sharapova was outworked in the duel between baseline hitters in the only singles night match on the day's schedule.

"It's disappointing but no hard feelings," Sharapova said. "I know you can't win everything and you're going to lose sometimes. I'll go home and train now and get ready for the U.S. Open."

Sharapova said she struggled with her serve after the first set, but gave credit to Zvonareva for playing hard on the key points.

"You have to play really good to beat Maria," said Zvonareva, 19. "I started serving better in the second set and that gave me more confidence."

As the match ended, a young local fan of Russian origin ran onto the court and tried to deliver an invitation to a local restaurant to the two players, but he was quickly hustled away by security guards before he could reach them. A security official said the fan was banned from the stadium, but no charges were laid.

Victoria Azarenka, Dinara Safina, Maria Kirilenko

Nadia Petrova, Samantha Stosur, Ana Ivanovic.

0026..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl .... Official Political Advisor to the Maria Mafia.
Doc is offline View My Blog!