TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Donna Vekic - Volume 2

View Single Post

Old Feb 25th, 2014, 03:51 PM   #1509
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donna Vekic - Volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18majors View Post
Things will get better when she turns 18 in June.
Could you elaborate on this? I doubt just lifting the age restrictions will do the trick here. It's a much bigger issue IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU90 View Post
From KleinBiere:

2nd Serve Points Won
2012: 54%
2013: 51%
2014: 37%
Today: 24%

Her second serve effectiveness went from being elite (top of the WTA, albeit in limited action) to abysmal.

(Second serve points won above 50% is extremely good in WTA.)
This is true, but her opponents during the 2012 and even 2013 season weren't exactly the caliber of Lisicki and the likes. I agree that her 2nd serve is a real target for most of her opponents these days, but what I actually wonder is, why isn't she trying to come forward more often? I find it that her forward movement is not bad and with her serving/returning skills, she should be creating a lot more opportunities to approach the net. I understand the fact that she is not comfortable doing that, but in matches like the one today she really doesn't have that much to lose and could at least give it a shot. Most of her in-court points ended well for her today, and even if she doesn't like the net, it should be her target much more than it is right now. Sticking this much to baseline is obviously not doing anything for her, and I hope they start working along these lines (so to speak) in the near future.
ma re is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote