TennisForum.com - View Single Post - » Off Topic - Mona fans chat thread »

View Single Post

Old Jan 28th, 2014, 01:43 PM   #1425
country flag Tecumseh

Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future Tecumseh has a brilliant future
Re: » Off Topic - Mona fans chat thread »

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardH View Post
I get the feeling Mona would benefit from talking to Li Na and Carlos about this aspect of tennis.
Yes, that would definitely help her. But unfortunately i think that she is not ready to listen yet. She probably needs some additional bad losses. If you read her comments on Facebook you don't really get the impression that she gets that much frustrated after a lost match.

Rodriguez seems to be a phantastic coach. The way he improved the game of 31-year-old Li is remarkable. He tought her to use her topspin forehand more often and he also improved her backhand during the offseason by adjusting her grip a bit. And now you can see how well it worked out. He added a few technical and tactical aspects to Li's game and now she became the well-deserved Australian Open champion.

I mean, Li always was and still is an extremely talented ballbasher and Rodriguez exactly knows that he should never change her game completely, but he simply knows where to add a few things here and there.

I remember very well the final of Cincinnati in 2012 against Kerber. Li lost the first set 1-6 and was a break behind in the second set. Then Rodriguez told her during an oncourt coaching to play with more topspin, especially to Kerber's backhand. Li followed his advice and thereafter she only lost one game and won convincingly in three sets.

Maybe one day Mona gets the opportunity to practise with Li and Rodriguez and hopefully that will help her to see the benefits that a good coach can deliver.

Last edited by Tecumseh : Jan 28th, 2014 at 04:11 PM.
Tecumseh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote