TennisForum.com - View Single Post - The Helen Wills Thread

View Single Post

Old Jan 17th, 2014, 03:30 AM   #48
country flag Charles Friesen

Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice Charles Friesen is just really nice
Re: The Helen Wills Thread

Helen Wills 1940 (age 34 most of the year)
Singles record: 0-0 (0 inferred)
Tournament victories 0 (of 0 played)

Wills does not play singles this year.

Sept 12-21,*Pacific Southwest, Los Angeles (Hard)
Helen Wills Moody, 35, won the mixed doubles championship with Jack Kramer.

This is the last year there is a recorded match for Wills. She injures a finger in an incident with a dog in 1941. She related the tale in old age, saying it ended her career.
She did occasionally play non-competitively. At least once she played doubles against Maureen Connolly who relates that she would have needed more time to get used to the heavy pace of Wills' shots.

Wills was an introvert. Hazel Hotchkiss Wightman says of her "you have no idea how awkward." But in the solace of her mind she found the will to concentrate without showing emotion, earning her the epithet, "Little Miss Poker Face." Her mantra while playing was "every stroke, every stroke, every stroke." It's still good advice...

Undoubtedly, Wills was one of the all time greats. Her record seems incredible now. I wish I could have seen her play.
Charles Friesen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote