TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Sydney F: Tsvetana Pironkova def. [5] Angelique Kerber 6-4 6-4

View Single Post

Old Jan 10th, 2014, 06:08 PM   #273
country flag CheddarChomper

CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sydney F: Tsvetana Pironkova def. [5] Angelique Kerber 6-4 6-4

Only just seen the match on the BT Sport re-run. Tsveti, I think I'm in love! That celebration & victory speech even had me in tears.

Congratulations to both players for a thoroughly entertaining final. Even though I'm an Angie fan I found myself rooting for Tsveti because she was playing the more positive tennis.

I feared for Tsveti though when she lost that 2nd game in the 2nd set squandering 9 BPs, but she stuck at it. Very impressive!

I imagine this would be a very popular win in the tennis world and on TF (I haven't read this thread yet). She seems very likeable and has a nice game when it's on.

3 Top 10 wins in a row! Could she be on for an Angie-like run to the top 10 this season?

BTW, does anyone know when was the last time a qualifier won a WTA Premier? (edit: found answer earlier in thread - Makarova at Eastbourne, 2010)

Just need a Klara win tonight to complete a fantastic week for Eastern European veterans of the WTA.

PS As it stands Tsveti will still have to rely on a WC for the Sofia TOC. That's rough!

Last edited by CheddarChomper : Jan 10th, 2014 at 06:33 PM.
CheddarChomper is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote