TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Anett Kontaveit

Thread: Anett Kontaveit
View Single Post

Old Dec 31st, 2013, 01:42 AM   #2372
country flag chingching

chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute chingching has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anett Kontaveit

Anett lost to Ishizu 6-3 1-6 6-3

Although Ishizu has improved in many ways from what I can tell following the Scores here and in Margaret River and looking at the Statistics, Anett definitely should have won this match IMO. I didn't see the 1st Set so I don't know what happened but I turned on the Scoreboard literally 2 Seconds before the start of the 2nd and followed it the whole way. Anett dominated as much as she did against Rogers. Ishizu won nearly no points on serve especially until 5-0 Anett and it was clear to me that Anett was playing well not Ishizu the other way around. However, when we got to the 3rd Set Anett won very few points on Ishizu's Serve, gave a way a lot of points at 15-15s and 40-30s where if she had played a bit better she could have really pushed for some BP opportunities and lost her 1st Serve. She seemed a bit deflated after not taking her BP at 1-1 as Ishizu ran off with a few quick games. Anett did make a good push and had 15-30 at 5-3* but gave Ishizu some points on her 2nd Serve which earlier in the match she had not done, perhaps getting tense. Anyway, it's sad she could not gain some points and take advantage of what was probably the best Round 1 draw possible and we didn't get to see her against a better opponent on a stream but this has still, at least in my eyes been a successful week for Anett and if she makes AOQ or even if she doesn't and she just plays Burnie, it will have been a big confidence boost and warmed her up well for her next tournament and maybe for the rest of the season. It still leaves a sour taste in my mouth that the one match she lost was to the lowest ranked player she played all week, the match we expected her to win the most, a player she has beaten before and a match where after the 2nd she was in the best position to win. Maybe that combined with the fact it was the best she had ever done at a WTA got in her head? Anyway, she must move on if she wants to do well in her upcoming tournaments and the positives outweigh the negatives here IMO. Great signs for the future and hopefully she can build on this and slowly make her way towards the Top 100

P.S. It appears I was right when I said this match was following the same as her match vs Mironova at the end of the 2nd Maybe she would have done better against Cirstea or Wickmayer where she wouldn't have had the pressure and she would have played more aggressive players? Anett doesn't normally play as well against Asians as Americans and Europeans... Not a great way to finish the year for her although she did finish it like she has finished many matches this year

Some good news though is that here is a larger part of Anett's match vs Irina with sound

Anett got lucky a few times 1st on Set Point Falconi when she netted that sitter, then on a ball that was out and called in, and then because Falconi was stupid a missed some shots

Kaia hit 24 Aces (the WTA record) vs Safarova Tokyo Round 1 2008

Last edited by chingching : Dec 31st, 2013 at 02:24 AM.
chingching is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote