TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Margaret Court's Serve

View Single Post

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 07:15 PM   #11
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santorofan
Alfa: I actually recall a latter 70's article in (I believe) Tennis Week magazine, which documented a WTA serving speed competition in which many of the top women participated in. Indeed, Court did win the contest with a serve that clocked at 96 MPH. Others fairly close behind were Navratilova (92MPH?) and I think, Wade. Frankie Durr also participated and surprise, surprise, her serve was too slow to even be clocked

During that same period, top speeds for the men were up around 110MPH...
It's interesting to me, because I'm a classic tennis boom product of the King/Riggs fiasco, and back then my favorite players (outside of BJK) were Bjorn Borg, Evonne Goolagong and Virginia Wade. I don't even remember Margaret Court at all. Our family didn't start watching Wimbledon finals on TV until BJK won her last title in 1975, so I missed out on seeing Margaret Court entirely. It was a real treat to actually meet her at the Australian Open 2003, but in reality, kind of strange as well because of not hearing about her when I was young.