TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Ana's serve, then and now

View Single Post

Old Dec 19th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #27
country flag VirtusBO

VirtusBO is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ana's serve, then and now

Speaking of her serve motion, we've seen worse...

Quote:
Q. How comfortable are you with your shortened service motion?
ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah, well, another reason I did that was to protect my shoulder, because I started having some pains, so that's why I abbreviated the motion. I feel a lot better and I think my speed has gone up. Last couple of tournaments I used this motion and I feel a lot better, actually, a lot more safe with my serve. And then obviously my shoulder didn't -- I didn't feel any problems with it.
I could serve faster, but it's been only a few weeks. But, you know, maybe once my shoulder gets stronger again, I can go back to the normal movement.

Q. With a different motion on your serve, doesn't that throw a different element into your toss?
ANA IVANOVIC: Well, actually, it helps my toss, because it's abbreviated, so then I feel like I can control it much more. It's coming smoother rather than, you know, having lots of different like aspects of the serve. So I think my toss has become a lot better with this new movement.

Q. What's difficult about the toss, anyway? Seems not to be a difficult part of the game.
ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah, serve should be the easiest part, because the only shot you control completely. Yeah, it's -- I think it just -- it's very hard to describe, because what happens is that sometimes when I toss, I either release too early or I flick it and I release too late. It's just so hard to describe. It's like, you know, I tried also to do exercises with heavier ball so I get more feel for it. I mean now it's feeling better so I worked on that.

Q. Is it possible you could be thinking about it too much?
ANA IVANOVIC: Well, I think I've been thinking about everything too much and trying to address lots of issues with my game, and at the moment I feel like I have a plan in place and I know what I have to do in each area of my game. But just at the moment I think it's a little disbalanced. My fitness is at one level, mind at another, my game is at another level. I think these all these things have to marry to get into the right direction and have to fit.
VirtusBO is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote