TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

View Single Post

Old Nov 28th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #592
country flag CheddarChomper

CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute CheddarChomper has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

To weigh in on the 'Simona's best matches of 2013' debate, I would go for:

1. Rome QF def. Jankovic
2. Sofia F def. Stosur
3. Sofia SF def. Ivanovic

The Rome QF was her most entertaining match of the season I think. Plenty of swings of momentum and full of high quality tennis by both players. Simona started to show us how calm and confident she has become even when staring defeat in the face. 3-0 down then 5-4 and 40-15 down in the 3rd and she still finds a way to win! What a gal! As she said in that New Haven interview on YouTube - "I am normal girl and I like to fight"!

I've chosen the Sofia matches rather than any from New Haven or Moscow for what they demonstrate to us about Simona (and also that they were 3 setters so were a bit more exciting.)

Sofia was the first tourney that she was expected to win (I think people were unsure about Moscow - perhaps we all thought she could win but weren't certain of her form after a disappointing Asian swing.) At Sofia we knew she should win and, apart from the first set blips in the SF and Final, she handled the pressure magnificently. She certainly knows how to focus and win.

Watching those 2 matches I was struck first by the incredible atmosphere generated by her band of fans, so loud that they nearly took the roof off! Then, after losing the first sets both times, Simona's ability to keep on believing in herself and not panic and then work out all for herself (without on-court coaching) how to turn it around and beat 2 quality players convincingly in the 2nd and 3rd sets. She seems like such an intelligent player.

By the way, I'm new round here. Can anyone tell me how to add a signature to my posts? I've looked all over the User CP and Profile and can't see it. Guess who's number one on my list of players?
CheddarChomper is offline View My Blog!