TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

View Single Post

Old Nov 8th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #492
country flag Curcubeu

Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs View Post
The song was written 10 years ago - Zicu was a great hope in that time
A couple of months ago, it looked as Simona would go the same road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverdescants View Post
Survey sample too small, in my book. We need to see a replay. The Pennetta syndrome is that the Halep-Pennetta U.S. Open match was stopped for rain at an exceedingly indeterminate moment. There's no generalizing from that strange match. That said, it was a major tournament, and Halep lost. American tennis commentators are themselves exceedingly few, but here is Serena's Blogger, who calls herself Savannah's World, discussing the year-end rankings:

"I am going to mention two players not in the top ten, Simona Halep and Sloane Stephens. She [Halep] had a very nice end to the year and won a total of six titles out of the blue. Fans are predicting her to take the top ten by storm. One thing about the WTA is that doing well on the International level and so so in the majors is a route to the top that many have taken in the past. JJ and Wozniacki of course come to mind. You just play as much as you can physically stand and suddenly you're in the top five or approaching the top three. Halep is going to have to play big tournaments better. She's going to have to get past Jelena, Angelique and Caroline. None of them are going to hold the door open for her." (Savannah's World)

True enough, and getting into big matches with these folks, Sloane Stephens included, ought to be Halep's goal for this upcoming season. Whether she plays Pennetta again doesn't concern me so much.
True enough indeed, but what I personally always find amusing in these 'she has to do better in majors' discussion is that these always awake the impression that you will certainly have to face top opposition to reach the QF for example. This might be true for any unranked player, but Simona now ranked and seeded #11 could easily take advantage of a draw falling apart not even facing a Top 30 player until this stage for instance. With her current gamestyle I can't see her losing to any significantly lower ranked player taking in mind that she is not injured.

Look at Hantuchova's road to the US Open QF:

Sanchez
Duval
Glushko
Riske

In all honesty, this was the road to an American 50k ITF Final one year ago and doesn't look any more complicated than that now.

Simona's road to the title in Rosmalen:

Beck
Vinci
Tsurenko
Suarez Navarro
Flipkens

No comparison.

I hope she will once and for all receive a nice draw, play her game and get that GS QF