TennisForum.com - View Single Post - The Danes are coming - Danish juniors thread

View Single Post

Old Nov 4th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #939
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Danes are coming - Danish juniors thread

Emilie Francati is ranked #156 in today's ITF rankings. It's by far the best we've seen from a Danish girl for quite some time. Entry at the big tournaments like Orange Bowl and the Grand slams is within reach (at least qualies). Whether the Federation can afford to send her to Melbourne in January is another matter (but how can they afford not to?). It'll be interesting to see her upcoming schedule.

Simone is a strange case. She's by far the most talented Danish girl since Caro, and she's beaten world class girls. But her 2012 season wasn't very good, and she hasn't played much in 2013. She won the Danish U16 title in 2013 though - beating both Emilie Francati and Emma Rønholt on her way to the title - so she still has a huge potential. And this is only her first year as a U16 player. She's also a U16 player in 2014. I still think she can go far if she has the motivation.

My two cents about some of the older juniors (U18): Melsted was once ranked #5 in Denmark and has played on the Fed Cup Team. Now she's ranked in the lower 30's! She has lost twice to Ida Krause (U14 player) in 2013. She's nowhere near her former form. She could come back though. She's obviously very talented, and the most succesful Danish junior ever (in terms of junior Championship titles).

Martine Ditlev is a curious case. She doesn't play much, and doesn't even have a Danish ranking (not a single Danish result during the last 12 months)! But she plays a few pro tournaments, and does win quite a few qualification matches. She also played for the Fed Cup team in May 2013 (and won her doubles match). Last week she played qualies at a 10K in Mexico. Martine won her two Q-matches, entered MD, and lost in R1. Martine is obviously willing to start a pro carrer, but I don't quite understand her choices. Maybe it would be better to play in Denmark too and test herself against players like Barbat, Grage, Jespersen etc.? Martine must be competetive against these players if she has any hopes of a pro career.

Julie Noe is quite good at the moment, and is probably the most likely of the U18 girls to start a real pro career. She seems to have the motivation. But it's also a question of funding. It's difficult for the Danish girls, because they often have to travel far to earn their points (as opposed to other nation's girls, that often have local tournaments giving them wildcards).
angliru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote