TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Ivana Jorović

Thread: Ivana Jorović
View Single Post

Old Oct 27th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #158
country flag Trey

Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future Trey has a brilliant future
Re: Ivana Jorović

Mmoh and Jorovic take titles in Osaka

Quote:
The Osaka Mayor’s Cup - World Super Junior Championships were first held in Japan in 1993 and were immediately given Grade A status. The tournament was held at Ebara Shonan Sports Center in Fijisawa with Marcelo Rios from Chile and local girl Hiroko Mochizuki winning the singles titles.
The tournament was moved to its current location in Osaka at the Utsubo Tennis Centre in 1996 and was renamed the Osaka Mayor's Cup in 2001. The tournament has proved to be an excellent place for talent-spotting in recent years with Marcos Baghdatis and Caroline Wozniaki both winning the title on two occasions while Viktoria Azarenka and Marin Cilic also added their names to the tournaments Roll of Honour in the last ten years.
Adding their names to this illustrious list today are Michael Mmoh and Ivana Jorovic who became the latest winners of the Osaka Mayor’s Cup.
The girls' final provided the surprise of the day as red hot favourite Varvara Flink from Russia had been in top form throughout the week. However, Serbia’s Jorovic has been improving throughout the week and obviously saved the best for her last match defeating the top seed 61 64. The Serb was happy with her performance and her week in Osaka:
“It was a great final. I enjoyed the match. I lost focus for a moment in the
second set, but I came back and finished strong. This is a great organized tournament, I really enjoyed every moment here. The crowd was great and Japan became one of the favorite places for me.”
Despite her defeat Flink also explained how she had enjoyed her time in Japan, even showing how she had picked up some of the local language:
“I really enjoyed this week! Wish I can come back. Thank you! Arigato!”
USA’s Michael Mmoh carried his streak of form into the final and dashed hopes of a home victory with defeat of Japan’s Jumpei Yamasaki 62 75. The American was thrilled with his first Grade A title and is planning to use it as a building block for the future:
“It’s unbelievable to win the boys' singles title. My play was good, and became better and better with each match. Today my serve was steady and I stayed mentally tough. Next step for me will be to challenge for the junior Grand Slam main draws and ITF Futures. The atmosphere during the finals was an experience I will never forget. The organization of the tournament is probably unmatched, thank you for making an unbelievable tournament.”
In the doubles finals Mmoh wasn’t able to complete the double with his partner Australian Akira Santillan. Top seed in the singles Korean Duck Hee Lee made up for his singles defeat with victory in the doubles with partner Simon Soendergaard from Denmark, taking the title 63 63. It looks like it could be a partnership to stay:
“We played a good match. We tried to stay aggressive from the beginning.
Simon was moving well at the net while Duck Hee tried to use his good groundstrokes from the baseline. We were good at taking our chances in their service games, because they were both serving well. Overall a really good tournament for us, we enjoyed playing together and it is probably not the last time."
The girls' doubles final proved to be the most exciting match of the day with the outcome decided by a final set tie-break. It was the Chinese pairing of Shilin XU and Xiaodi You who finally prevailed 61 57 [10-5] over Japan’s Kyoka Okamura and Olivia Tjandramilia from Australia. The Chinese pair were happy with out they were able to stay focused:
“It was an amazing match. We played very well in the first set, but in the second set there were some trouble. Our opponents started playing better and we didn’t play as good. But in the tiebreak we were able to regroup and set up our game. Over all it was a good experience.”
Despite losing, Olivia Tjandramulia also enjoyed her experience in the final and the tournament:
“Wow, what a match. I came out on court, nervous and pumped because I know I had the crowd behind me. The first set was super quick and our opponents were just too good but as the second set started, everything was neck and neck. Even the spectators were up on their feet. The super tie-break wasn’t the way we wanted it to go, but it was a good experience. I feel sorry that I let my partner and the crowd down but also thankful that they always cheered for me and not lose hope. Overall, I will never forget this match and will always keep this stadium and place close to my heart.”
Trey is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote