TennisForum.com - View Single Post - ~Petra Martic~

Thread: ~Petra Martic~
View Single Post

Old Oct 17th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #4335
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ~Petra Martic~

http://www.jutarnji.hr/mats-wilander...-sve-/1031704/

And a stroll down the memory lane, to June of last year. I don't think this was posted before. Also, I won't translate the title as it's one of those bombastic ones which have no relation to the article...

She's always done things a bit at a time. If it weren't for the crisis of 2010, which shot her down far outside of top 100, the career of Petra Martic would've been a great example of an athlete who improves slowly, but constantly.

She started believing

Even that brief wandering hasn't dramatically changed the path of her success, which got a new rise after a win against Marion Bartoli. Her first top 10 win, first entry into the third round of a major, even the first real chance for the wider domestic public to get to know her. During the third set against Bartoli the phones rang, with comments pretty much the same: "Listen, she's not bad this Martic girl". Far from bad, especially when she convinces herself that she can do whatever she wants.

Vedran Martic, a man who, in tennis terms, knows her to the bone, admits that she needed such a win very much.

- Oftentimes it would happen that she wouldn't believe in her success. When she'd go out on court against some of the best, often she'd ask her mother: "What if I lose 6-0, 6-0?" But after she has this season defeated Jelena Jankovic, lost to Stosur 7-6 in the third and now took out Bartoli, I'm sure she won't be asking such questions - explains Petra's second coach, with whom she is not related by family, and works with for the past 6 years.

Since she started working with Zoltan Kuharszky, a former coach of Capriati and Huber, the Martic - Martic colaboration is only a part time one. Whenever is Petra in Split, she is working with him, a former coach of Goran Ivanisevic.

- They're even comparable. Petra sometimes actually has too many solutions on court, so she doesn't know what would be the best to pick. It was the same with Goran: he could've serve and volleyed like Sampras, hit the ball like Agassi or "moonball" like Muster, but sometimes he didn't know how to make the most of it.

Compliments from Mats

Impressed with the tennis produced on Wednesday at Suzanne Lenglen court by a 21 y.o. from Duce, were also some of the biggest authorities in tennis. Mats Wilander was astonished with the impressive array of solutions presented by a player with whom he obviously wasn't failiar enough.

- Where was this girl by now? Considering she knows and can do pretty much anything, I believe her place is a lot higher on the ranking list - assessed Eurosport's commentary star.

There's enough time for a climb up the rankings. As world's #50 she's got only five players younger than herself ahead of her: Pavlyuchenkova, McHale, Hercog, Pervak and Halep. Times when the teenagers have dominated the women's tennis are over, and Petra's great advantage is that she is not spent and should last for a long time.

- She has finished high school by attending the classes quite regularly. Many people were telling us she needs to practice more, while she was training tennis for two hours a day and gave one more hour to fitness. Today that's her advantage, with 21 years of age, she is just starting - concluded Martic.
ma re is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote