TennisForum.com - View Single Post - OPPA GANGNAM STYLE! - Asian Hardcourt Swing Cheering Thread

View Single Post

Old Oct 15th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #197
country flag Gruftgesänge

Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of Gruftgesänge has much to be proud of
Re: OPPA GANGNAM STYLE! - Asian Hardcourt Swing Cheering Thread

Regarding the short-lived 'trial' hiring of Maclagan it's worth remembering the original circumstances behind it. Laura announced in May that she was in no hurry to select a new coach and that she would be working with the Adidas coaching team (Groenefeld, Cahill et al) until the end of the grass-court season. I think what changed her mind was the débâcle in Paris. She was hotly tipped to beat the slumping Caroline Wozniacki but since Wozniacki was a fellow Adidas client she could not utilise the services of the Adidas team for the match. Instead the LTA flew over some bloke from London I've never heard of to help her prepare. Whatever preparation they did was ineffective: Laura played a sloppy, clueless match. She surely realized then and there that she couldn't continue in this ad hoc fashion and that she urgently needed a personal coach. The hiring of Maclagan may have been a bit of a whim but it was a sensible decision since her round 1 opponent at Wimbledon was Maria Kirilenko - another Adidas client! - and, had she stayed with Adidas, she would have found herself in precisely the same trap as in Paris. In the longer term I'm not so sure whether Maclagan had the experience or skills for his role. At this stage of her career Laura truly needs a top-flight coach: she'll be turning 20 in the New Year.

Högstedt sounds a very promising choice. He's immensely experienced, he's worked extensively on the WTA tour, and he seems to be popular with his charges - which can't be said for Krajan. He's also reported to be a fan of Laura's howitzer groundstrokes.

It's scarcely believable but the favoured appointment on Britishtennis.net is Nigel Sears! Apart from his uncanny ability to cause his players to lose weight drastically, I can't imagine what Sears' other credentials are. Laura should stay as far away from him as possible.

Paul Annacone is also available now that PseudoFed's fired him but he's never worked with WTA players before, and I doubt he'd be seriously interested.
Gruftgesänge is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote