TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Polona Hercog Cheering Thread vol2

View Single Post

Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 12:33 PM   #1048
country flag Shiffrin

Shiffrin has a reputation beyond repute Shiffrin has a reputation beyond repute Shiffrin has a reputation beyond repute Shiffrin has a reputation beyond repute Shiffrin has a reputation beyond repute Shiffrin has a reputation beyond repute Shiffrin has a reputation beyond repute Shiffrin has a reputation beyond repute Shiffrin has a reputation beyond repute Shiffrin has a reputation beyond repute Shiffrin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Polona Hercog Cheering Thread vol2

Quote:
Hercog Ousts Ivanovic, Radwanska Wins

The second round wrapped up Wednesday afternoon, with Polona Hercog bouncing Ana Ivanovic - it was her third career win over a Top 15 player, what are the other two? Agnieszka Radwanska cruised.

Published October 02, 2013 12:02

BEIJING, China - The second round wrapped up at the China Open on Wednesday afternoon, with another upset rocking the tournament - Ana Ivanovic falling to Polona Hercog in straight sets.

Watch highlights, interviews and more video from Beijing right here on wtatennis.com!

The match was a serving display for the most part, with only two breaks the whole time. Unfortunately for Ivanovic it was Hercog who got them both, one per set, and at the end of the day the Slovenian qualifier never even faced a break point on her own serve to take down the No.14-seeded Serb, 64 64.

"It was a big challenge for me to go out there on a big court and play against Ana Ivanovic, and I'm just really happy the way it turned out," Hercog said. "It's probably one of the biggest victories for me. I beat Bartoli before when she was Top 10, but Ana is on her way back so it's a very big win for me."

Hercog seems to know her career stats very well - her win against the No.14-ranked Ivanovic was her equal-second best career win, bettered only by her win over a No.7-ranked Bartoli at Charleston in 2012 and equalled by her win over a No.14-ranked Kirsten Flipkens at Québec City a few weeks ago.

She has six Top 20 wins overall, the other three coming at Rome in 2011 (No.15 Andrea Petkovic), Beijing in 2012 (No.20 Ekaterina Makarova) and Cincinnati this year (No.19 Dominika Cibulkova).

The other seeds who were still stuck in the second round managed to get out of it though, first No.8 seed Jelena Jankovic, who looked headed for a straightforward win as she led 63 31 but had to grind out a 63 57 63 win in two and a half hours against Kazakhstani qualifier Galina Voskoboeva.

No.3 seed Agnieszka Radwanska cruised past Madison Keys in an hour and 15 minutes, 63 62.

"I played her at Wimbledon a few months ago, so I kind of knew what to expect, especially the big serve," Radwanska said. "We played a really long three set match there. She was really serving unbelievable. So I knew I had to stand two steps backwards to reach that serve. But I don't think her percentage of first serves was as good as the matches before - it was a little bit easier for me today.

"But she's one of the youngest talented players coming out. Last year I was asked me to name which of the players can be the most dangerous to the top seeds, and I actually said it's Madison Keys, because she can play very good tennis. In a couple of years we're going to see her more often."

The only other second round match of the day saw Andrea Petkovic follow up her first round upset over Victoria Azarenka with a 46 64 61 win over two-time China Open winner Svetlana Kuznetsova.

"This is the first tournament that I've been able to really keep up my intensity and keep up my focus. I think I've played two good matches," Petkovic said. "Personally it's really important to see that I can still beat the players on the top level, two past Grand Slam champions. It's just a big boost for my confidence, no matter what happens now in the future. So I've been really satisfied with my game."