TennisForum.com - View Single Post - *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

View Single Post

Old Sep 25th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #3989
country flag Patrick345

Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute Patrick345 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
I don't think it was a bad decision to play. Your ill, playing won't make you worse, it won't make your recovery longer, there's no injury that can get worse. She was unlucky with the draw really, if she'd faced someone with less of a first serve than Venus she could have won. I think she still would have beaten the majority of non-seeded players in the draw. It was a free hit so to speak, she had nothing really to lose from playing, but could have maybe bluffed her way into the draw if she had won.
Of course you can make it worse and extend your recovery time. In the end it is her decision. Nevertheless I feel many times players only play to avoid the zero pointers or/and stay eligible for some bonus cash. Kerber would have never played Doha/Dubai this year for example. The incentive to play are the ranking points and the prize money, so let players play what they want. No need for additional punishment. Count the 16 best and be done with it. Players will play when they are healthy.

Vika is not stupid. She knew looking at that draw that she is not making it through the early parts with a viral infection. Venus has apparently overcome her back problems and played better at the USO and in the 1st round here. Halep/Pavs waiting in round two, Stephens/JJ in round three. Since she has already faced a lot of criticism she simply completed the match and bettors worldwide are happy the WTA has its own methods of legal match-fixing. Maybe the WTA should ban themselves.
Quiet. 24 SLAMS.
Patrick345 is offline View My Blog!