TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Alexandra Cadantu

View Single Post

Old Sep 12th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #1510
country flag Curcubeu

Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alexandra Cadantu

I watched the match and first of all I have to say that Govortsova probably played one of her best matches this year and especially in regard to her latest form. She was pretty solid for her level and played well on the big points.

Now to Alexandra I have to say that her two biggest weaknesses have been shown today:

1.) Her 2nd serve or better said her 2nd first serve

In her last 10 matches on the WTA she has now nearly hit a total of 70 DFs. That's just insane. However, her 2nd serve is basically a first serve and therefore very error prone. The funny thing is that I got the impression today that she doesn't even want to play it safe on the 2nd serve, being fully aware that a slower 2nd serve would got banged on the return anyway.

That one ace on 2nd serve was a rocket, but you can't play it like that any time when your name is not Serena.

2.) Her lack of power

Olga had no problems dealing with Alexandra's pace in the baseline rallies. On the other hand, I even had the feeling that she benefitted hugely and missed much more balls on slower or high bouncing ones.
At one point Alexandra got frustrated after she saw that she really can't force her to errors in the ordinary baseline exchange, so that she started to commit mindless errors by going for too much. She was able to open up the court a couple of times by playing the angle or the loopy topspin ball to the corner, but even then Govortsova always had a chance to get back into the rally because Alexandra was lacking the 'killer shot' to finish them.

While I also think that those fast paced courts are becoming less and less of a problem for her, I still see her more successful on the clay. On slower surfaces, she will always have a get on the opponents service game, so a couple of loose service games on her own won't pressure her. On these faster surfaces, however, she really needs to take the few opportunities she gets, otherwise the scoreline will look always like today.
Curcubeu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote