TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Julia Glushko

Thread: Julia Glushko
View Single Post

Old Aug 31st, 2013, 11:42 PM   #492
country flag David1027

David1027 is a glorious beacon of light David1027 is a glorious beacon of light David1027 is a glorious beacon of light David1027 is a glorious beacon of light David1027 is a glorious beacon of light David1027 is a glorious beacon of light David1027 is a glorious beacon of light David1027 is a glorious beacon of light David1027 is a glorious beacon of light David1027 is a glorious beacon of light David1027 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Julia Glushko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer16 View Post
Heartbreaking loss to Hantuchova in R3, 6-3 5-7 (4)6-7
Was 5-2* 30-0 up in the 2nd set with complete control and Dani blasting UE left and right, when suddenly the veteran raised her game by some levels and reeled 8 games in a row for a 3-0 lead with a double break.

Match looked over, but Julia staged a brave comeback, broke twice, got broken, broke again and served for 5-4.
And then she had 4 MP (15-40, Ad, Ad) on Dani's serve To be honest she didn't actually had a chance on either one, Hantuchova played very well to save them all.
Deciding TB wasn't very good.

I can only hope that she gets another chance to make the second week of a slam in the foreseeable future...
As much as I wanna be optimistic it's hard not to have this thought: http://www.tapuz.co.il/forums2008/vi...geid=171332553
When Shahar played her first QF and was two points away from beating Serena the common vibe was "a pity, but she'll get another chance". Well, she did make another slam QF later that year, but had no other chance to reach a semi and it seems increasingly unlikely that she ever will. Sometimes you don't get a second chance...

BTW, Shahar on her first two majors in '05 (R3 and R2 at FO and Wimbledon) was ousted by... Petrova and Hantuchova.
I would have to disagree with you in the sense that she will never get another chance. I think that Shahar is much different than Glushko in the sense that Shahar never had any defining weapons that made her game particularly special (other than her fighting qualities). Glushko is a more naturally gifted tennis player, in my opinion. She has more penetrating groundstrokes, and that backhand down-the-line of her's is a beautiful shot to watch. And now that her mental lapses seem to have been fixed (for the most part), I think we will see much more from her. Every top player has had an agonizingly close match go against them after having match points on their way up the rankings. It is just part of the learning process. While it is an enormous pity that Julia did not make the fourth round after the match she played today, I do not see her going away any time soon, especially when you consider that she will not have to play qualifying at the Australian Open next year.
David1027 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote