TennisForum.com - View Single Post - US Open 2013: hashtag slam number 5

View Single Post

Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 02:57 PM   #278
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US Open 2013: hashtag slam number 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
Very interesting. Are you sure that this type of surgery WOULDN'T result in her losing all feel and muscle memory like the one last one did? Because as you say, that was the main stumbling-block last time, that even after she'd largely recovered from the immediate after-effects of the surgery, her arm had basically "forgotten" how to hit her serve and forehand (she said it really felt like she had a new shoulder). If that wouldn't happen this time, then yes, I agree that sounds like it shouldn't be too bad, if once she gets through rehab her shoulder/arm will be pretty much back to how it was before (even if that means months off the tour).

Still, the main worry for me is that this is more than bursitis. Especially after what we've heard about her having cortisone shots. I've definitely read that having regular cortisone shots can really weaken the shoulder and make you very vulnerable to tearing the rotator cuff or another tendon (I think she was having them like monthly or something in 2007-08), so hopefully she only got them once or twice this time.

I think I'll go and research what all of Tommy Haas's various shoulder surgeries were, because with some he was out for ages and with others he wasn't out for anywhere near as long.
Yeah I'm pretty sure, the bursa is just a lubricating sac, the decompression surgery wouldn't be touching the muscles. Bursitis on its own seems to only take a few weeks to heal (basically a new non-inflamed bursa grows back once the inflamed one is removed), the problem lies in I can't really find solid info on whether bursitis and impingement always occur together.

The real danger is in her just doing rehab if she has impingement though because it will definitely lead to another tear if it's not addressed and the bursitis will keep reoccurring too.