TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Off Topic....Anything Goes vol5

View Single Post

Old Aug 20th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #1388
country flag domon17th

domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future domon17th has a brilliant future
Re: Off Topic....Anything Goes vol5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavstry. View Post
She is everywhere. Brilliant.
It must be a problem promoting her line outside the walls of tennisworld, something like this is exactly what she needs to get broader recognition w/o bigger advertising investments. Tho I think she has to invest in near future to some internet/youtube adds at least.

You can say its tacky or embarassing PR, but thats what people interested. Tennis-snobs and hardcore fans are 1% of the mainstream/casual audiance. Sad or no, wearing a flesh dress or giving ridiculous name to your kid is how things must done nowadays.
This is right. Norbert dead on as usual. It's a business move, brilliant marketing. Nothing more nothing less. Besides it's JUST a name change (which is most likely not even going to materialise), she's not devoting alternate days during the Open to do some fancy roadshows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serfpova View Post
I think you're both grossly underestimating how far ahead these things are planned in advance. I highly doubt Maria was like, "results are flopping, let's change my name to Sugarpova". STAHP.
Exactly. Only thing that happened which she likely didn't foresee is the incompatibility with Connors' coaching. With regards to her business decisions, I'm sure it was all mapped out. It's the one year anniversary for Sugarpova isn't it? Surely some sort of big buzz-worthy promotional campaign is to be expected right, especially given its success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola View Post
I'll continue to be the overreacting buzzkill. I am now officially concerned about the mental well-being of Maria if this promotional stunt goes through. After everything that's happened to her in the past couple of months, you'd think now would be a good time to lay low and let the tennis do the talking at the last major of the year. The Connors mistake made her look like a fool and now days later she feels it's the perfect time to put her business first with this ridiculous name change, which will make her the butt of even more mockery.

Maybe at a different time and place, during a good run for Maria where she's winning tournaments and playing at an elite level, this kind of promotion would look cute, fun, and harmless. But after a Wimbledon flameout, 2 coaching changes, including the Connors mess, and winning only 1 match since early June, this looks beyond dumb.
I don't see it that way. In fact I think Martha would gladly see the Sugarpova blitz shadow all that Connors mess and consuming all the press' attention. I consider the Connors thing a much more mentally exhausting change to defend.

And no dsanders, she's not going down the Kournikova route. I mean doubting her that way is just... #fakefan
domon17th is offline View My Blog!