TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Off Topic....Anything Goes vol5

View Single Post

Old Aug 20th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #1382
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Off Topic....Anything Goes vol5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Croft View Post
I agree that the timing may not be ideal, but (if true) it's absolutely genius advertising.
And really, what does a last name have to do with her performance anyway? The only downside to this is that the media will mock her if she were to bomb out early.
Again though, it's about what changing her name would represent. I don't normally agree with that poster Stromatolite, but his post in GM saying this would symbolically turn her into the new Kournikova was bang-on. I know it might just seem on the surface like a cute marketing move, but I really think, like Kournikova, it would mean the media and crowds would start treating Maria like an entertaining sideshow rather than a legitimate contender, and that DOES affect your tennis. When the sense that Kournikova was just in it for maximising her fame and wasn't totally focussed on her game became widespread, she was toast, because it did affect how the media, crowds and her opponents perceived her and that in turn affected her results.

Plus, as Mexicola said, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with her results. If she'd gone winless this year, but I still felt she was putting in 100%, then I'd still be stanning for her as much as ever. The issue is IF she's prioritising other things over her tennis thesedays....I'm still trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, but this stunt is the latest in a series that have got me wondering. But it's got nothing to do with results. I went off Kim in her last couple of years because, even though she was still winning, it's horrible to feel like you care more about a player's results than the player themselves.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!