TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Off Topic....Anything Goes vol5

View Single Post

Old Aug 20th, 2013, 03:05 AM   #1369
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Off Topic....Anything Goes vol5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serfpova View Post
Also, how the fuck did y'all get through 2010 if this is the reactions now?
I can't speak for others, but to me, the 2009-2010 Maria was easier to accept because I understood that it was really difficult for Maria coming back from the shoulder surgery and trying to overcome the crippling serving issues. But there was so much about that Maria to admire. She was trying so hard, match after match, tournament after tournament. She willed herself to victory so often, winning ugly in the face of double digit double faults, relying on that return of hers. You could tell she was so focused on doing everything to get better and leaving her heart and soul on the court in every match, no matter how much she struggled. There was no Twitter. There was no Facebook Social Channel. There was no Sugarpova. It was Maria working her butt off to get better, no matter how long it took. I could sense real dedication and perseverance and focus.

I don't sense that in 2013. After the great 2012, I and many others had great expectations for Maria this year. We all saw what she's capable of when playing to her potential. And for whatever reason, and there are several, she's gotten steadily worse as the year's gone on. And all of her off-court activities haven't helped the perception that total effort on her tennis hasn't been there.

So, 2010 Maria-easy to accept. 2013 Maria-not so much.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote