TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Off Topic....Anything Goes vol5

View Single Post

Old Aug 20th, 2013, 02:47 AM   #1366
country flag Mexicola

Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute Mexicola has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Off Topic....Anything Goes vol5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
This, tbh. If this really is true, then for me it would indicate that the people who are saying she's now prioritising "building her brand" over her tennis career might have a point, and that's not the reason I stan for her. Even if it is just a joke, I still don't like that she's introducing this distraction (because presumably the aim if it is a joke would be to get press coverage) at a time when she really needs to be focussing on her game. Really might start to question some things soon...
It you thought she was really going to be put under the microsope after the Connors firing, with many questions surrounding her game, this thing would put even more pressure on her to perform well in New York. She has to realize that if she flops in the first 3 rounds, after all the off-court drama, she's inviting a lot of media heat about her commitment to tennis. And it would be legitimate speculation because these recent actions indicate a player whose mind isn't focused first and foremost on being a great tennis player.

I know on the surface, the Sugarpova name change looks like some frivolous fun and creative promotion. But let's face it, this has been a very mediocre year for Maria so far, so it's not as easy to just brush this off as an amusing distraction. Maria has some serious on-court issues she needs to address and I really hope to see some determination and passion from her at the US Open.
Mexicola is offline View My Blog!